seventy two

a few weeks into looking for nicholas flamel, the golden trio finally find him, a revelation that comes to them in the gryffindor common room. you missed it, but they come to you as quickly as they can and you set off to tell your father.

"dad." you call out for severus, stepping into his chambers, with harry's famous wizard card in your hands.

"in here, y/n."

you head into his bed chamber and find him kneeling beside his bay window, a pair of shiny black shoes propped up on the sill. he threads a fresh set of laces through the silver holes, the old tattered lace discarded at his side.

you pick it up, and throw it away for him before wiping your index finger and thumb on the door frame.

"has albus told you about where you're sitting during the quidditch match this evening?" he asks you.

you smile. "right next to you, i suppose."

"hm." severus stands on his feet and places the shoes in the sun to dry. "can't have you anywhere else."

he wipes his hand on a cloth and tilts his head at you. "what is it?"

"what do you mean?"

"i don't need to use my great talents to read you, i can tell something is off, dear." he walks towards you and grabs one of your hands in his own. your feet follow involuntarily as leads you to sit beside him at the bay window seat.

"look." you show him the card, nicholas flamel yawning as he gazes up at the pair of you.

"this is-" severus takes it from you. "albus' old friend."

"he made the sorcerers' stone and you're all trying to keep it safe, right?" you rest your head on his shoulder. "harry, ron and hermione are going to try and find it before someone else does."

"you think there's someone out to steal it?" he asks you. "is it-"

"i won't tell you who. it'll mess everything up." you sigh. "although, they do suspect it's you."

"me?" laughs severus.

you smile.

"if i really wanted that stone i would have it, dear girl." he stares down at his forearm.

the black sleeve that hides the mark burned into his skin does little to conceal the dark energy one can feel when you gaze at it. "but, some of us don't want to live forever."

"i'm going to go with them, dad." you tell him, wearily. you watch his eyes freeze on his arm and his jaw tighten.

"some of the traps are-"

"risky." you finish. "it's nothing i don't already know and i'll only be there to make sure nothing goes off track-"

"but you know it'll be fine." severus leans his head back, tearing his eyes away and up to the ceiling.

"yes, but-"

"if it's fine, you don't need to go."

you sense the difference in his tone this time. the urgency in keeping you far away from the final actions, far away from he whom he had once craved approval from.

"i know it's him, y/n. i know he never really died. i know what he's like, when he meets someone young. someone talented."

"he isn't strong enough to cause any damage. you know that."

severus kisses your hair. "you won't listen, will you?"

you shake your head.

both you and severus know it would be best not to take any chances. going along with the trio of gryffindors would be the best course of action, in ensuring everything works out perfectly.

you head back to the slytherin common room and spend the rest of the evening among the younger slytherins, discussing the next morning's match. as the girls file back into the dorm room, giggling and teasing each other about members of the quidditch team, you can't help but feel a little uneasy about the stunt you know quirrel will try pulling off tomorrow.

just then, you hear a knock on the door and before you can say anything, gemma farley has burst in.

"y/n!"

you furrow your brows. why is she yelling when you're only a couple feet away from her?

"yes, farley?" you answer.

"a word, please."

the girls all give you the 'look'. you shrug your shoulders, completely clueless as to what this could possibly be about.

you and gemma head down to the main common room, which is empty by now. the lights are dimmer and the fire in the fireplace low and fading.

you notice gemma is still in her night clothes but she's thrown on her school robe and badge. you wonder if that was just for this talk, especially for you. the thought of it makes you snigger to yourself.

"what's so amusing?"

"nothing." you quickly say. "what did you want to say to me?"

"how good are you at flying?"

your heart drops.

"miles is down. miles bletchley, our keeper. he's unwell."

this isn't supposed to happen.

"so.." the words are slow to leave your mouth. you have no idea what to think. "you need me to fill in?"

gemma nods. her usually piercing eyes are large and pleading.

"well, shit."