sixty four

white beams of sun shine faintly through the crack between the large curtain panels, dancing on your eyelids and calling you awake.

you smile to yourself for a second before letting your eyes flutter open, looking straight out of the window.

the slytherin dorms were built into the black lake, so for the light to reflect through the dark liquid in such a way, it could only mean that the lake had finally frozen over.

ice skating. francis had said it was a winter tradition.

you look around at the holly draped across the ceilings, at serena's empty bed and at the hot chocolate steaming on your bedside table.

"merry christmas, you."

you look at the doorway, finding serena stood in the middle of it. she grins at you, before nodding at the cup of cocoa.

"snuck one up here for you. simple concealment charm."

"thanks 'rena." you say, taking a sip of it and feeling the pleasurable sting of sweetness ring through your jaw.

"the elves love their sugar." you wince and serena lets out a laugh.

"yeah, i thought the same. it's delicious, nonetheless."

"you okay?" she asks you, sitting at the end of your bed.

you nod. "i'm fine. more than fine, actually, thanks to you."

she blushes. "it was nothing."

then, her eyes twinkle.

"i didn't use a wand for it." she tells you. "i thought i'd give it a go, because you said-"

serena picks anxiously at the mahogany frame of your bed. "you said it was special."

you smile wider. "i did. it is."

you hold the cocoa out towards her and tilt your head.

"will you show me?" you ask her and she takes the cup from you in one hand and holds another over it.

you watch the red and green lights strung up bounce off the rings on her hands, the snakes she wore, the stones of emerald upon mounts of gold. her hand shook very slightly, as it hovered over the beverage.

serena's eyes closed.

"occultare."

you stare at her empty hand in awe. you could smell it, still, but it was nowhere to be seen.

"that's wicked." you breath, bringing your nose close to the mug.

you touch the side of it with your finger, feeling the warmth on your finger tips and being absolutely amazed that the cocoa was now completely invisible. you could feel it still, but it was completely out of sight.

"i'm glad u think so," she smiles, waving her hand back over it to reverse the spell.

the mug is now back and you straighten your back before taking it from her and granting yourself another large sip.

"i uh-" you start. "i have a christmas present to give to you, although i know you don't celebrate it-"

"its alright." serena reassures you, nodding. "go ahead."

"i saw it in a magazine down in the common room and had father send an elf for it."

"you shouldn't ha-"

her words get stuck in her throat as you hold it out, the shine of the chain attracting her attention. it's small and simple, a custom gold necklace with a name linked to a chain.