thirty three

you all file in to your dorms, and you follow pansy, daphne and serena into yours.

the other three girls walk over to the beds that their things are layed out on and you spot your bed, the empty one, right at the end of the room- up against the wall.

"they've decided for us." daphne says slowly, a small smile on her face. "that's amusing."

"why?" you ask.

"because they think it'll make a difference to us." serena answers, thinking just the same as daphne.

she kicks her shoes off, sitting on her bed and crossing her legs. daphne sits on hers and pansy does the same.

you stand up, towering over the chair near your bed side table and spot a note on the pillow.

'i'm sorry, your things were put back in severus' chambers when the hat decided you were a slytherin. severus wanted a word with you before you move in.'

pansy tilts her head at you. "what's up, y/n? where's all your stuff?"

you look up and your eyes flicker between the faces expecting an answer.

"i left them in father's room- forgot to put them back in the hallway." you tell them, before pushing the note under your pillow and sitting on the bed.

"are you excited?" pansy asks you. "to learn stuff here."

"mhm." you say, distracted slightly. you were in slytherin house- not where you thought you would be.

"y/n's got an advantage in potions at least." daphne teases. "daddy will give you top marks won't he?"

you're not sure what to say to that.

"lay off it, greengrass." serena laughs. "we all know your dad's probably already taught you much about defensive spells. taught about dark arts in durmstrang, didn't he?"

"and you-" daphne smirks, leaning forward. "serena. your daddy must have taught you all about the vast world of wandless magic."

serena blushes. "i haven't seen him in years and you know that, daphne."

pansy looks between the two girls with uncertainty.

daphne looks down at her finger nails, each one of them white and perfectly short.

"well, we should probably try to get along of we're going to be stuck here together." you say, looking at all of them.

"you know, y/n. for someone we've never met before you sure act like you have a place in-"

"i haven't acted like anything." you interrupt daphne, watching her wrinkle up her nose.

"i just think it's foolish to be ripping at eachother when we know we'll have to come back here every night." you smile at her. "we're not threats."

"everyone is." she says calmly, standing to leave to the bathroom on the right.

she doesn't slam the door but the sound of it closing is enough to break the tension.

you see pansy physically relax as daphne leaves the room, shuffling back more towards the middle of her bed and pulling her knees to her chest.

"sorry, y/n." serena mumbles, pinching the bridge of her nose. "it's been tough for most of us- what with all of us starting hogwarts at the same time, and with our parents comparing us already..."

pansy lets out a small laugh. "yeah. we haven't even started yet and it's already this bad."

you smile. "well, let's not let it pin us against eachother."