Chapter 45 : An Engagement Party

AGNARR

A fortnight had passed since Iduna ran away to her home country and left me with no choice in marrying Princess Renata of Ebiza.

Life was slowly turning itself around though: Iduna no longer consumed my thoughts every waking hour and my dreams every night; I felt terrible but better for it. Arianna and I were gradually becoming the close siblings we had once been. Rufeal no longer seemed to hate me and we lived in a mutual co-existence where neither of us did anything to rile up the other. Business with the Council was the same as always; the Lyone Reports kept coming back with new information but not enough to understand what was truly going on, and Whitlington had not declared war so I didn't know what all the fuss was about. And finally, my relationship with Renata was progressing smoothly.

I still didn't love her, and I didn't think I ever would, but I was growing ever-fonder of her company and beginning to think we could make this marriage work afterall.

On top of everything I already liked about her from years of our friendship, she also turned out to be a great help during and after Council meetings, which concerned everything from trade to our wedding plans. Although, she always seemed more interested in the wedding than anything else; I hardly blamed her however, she was very much a romantic.

And once agian, on this particular day, the plans were focused on the wedding; our engagement party to be exact.

It had been exactly a week since I officially proposed to Renata in the Secret Garden, and now that we had publicly announced our union to the people of Arendelle - she, her parents and the Council were eager to announce it to other Kingdoms.

And that's how the two of us came to spend the entire afternoon of a Saturday, sitting in my office and pooring over a piece of parchment covered in rows of her neat, cursive writing.

"We simply must have a chocolate fondue." she was saying, her quill twirling about the page as she scribbled, "Displayed in a fine, glass fountain and then surrounded by glass dishes holding a variety of different fruits and snacks."

"Your chocolate fondue addiction is getting a little out of hand, m'lady. And I fear it may be partly my fault." I told her with a chuckle, watching as her fingers sketched out a fondue. She was admittedly rather good at art, adopting a dainty style I'd never seen before.

She simply rolled her eyes and her hand fell limp against the desk. "What can I say? Arendelle knows exactly what this Ebizan girl needs." she grinned at me.

"Well, chocolate fondue it is. And it will be the focus of the food display." I spread an arm wide dramatically.

Renata laughed, "Yes!" and jotted this down with an arrow towards her drawing.

"I was joking." I said mock-seriously, eyeing the Princess with amusement.

She patted my shoulder, "And you're so cute when you're joking!" her finger tapped my nose playfully, "But I'm not joking, so we are having a chocolate fondue and it will be the focus of the food display." she grinned then, "See, even when you are telling a joke you are helpful!"

I shook my head, still amused by the Princess, and went along with everything else she suggested. For one thing, I had no idea what I was even doing - Arianna had always been the one to arrange balls. And for another thing, there was no point in contradicting Renata anyway, she always got her way in the end.

"Who should we invite?" I suddenly asked, realising we'd arranged this ball, but had no one to attend it.

Renata drummed her fingers against the table and rested her chin in her other hand thoughtfully, "That is a good question. Do we get to decide upon guests, or will the Council and my parents have a say?"