Chapter 11 : What's Free Time To A King

AGNARR

I had at first been astonished when Iduna rested her head on my shoulder, but had soon relaxed against the twisted trunk.

Iduna seemed more interested in the book than I was and I'd flipped it back for her, leaning against the tree and dozing slightly as specks of light danced across my face.

It turned into quite a pleasant morning, especially with the warmth from Iduna pressed against my side and my dips in and out of sleep.

We sat in silence but as we'd discovered last night, that was sometimes perfect.

When I fully awoke, rather begrudgingly, it was to Iduna shaking my arm.

"Agnarr. Halima's just called. It's time for lunch."

The book lay discarded on the floor beside her and soft footsteps were padding away across the neatly trimmed lawn.

"Lunch?" I repeated drowsily.

Iduna laughed her sweet, familiar laugh, "Anyone would have thought you'd just woken from the dead. Come on." she stood and offered her hands.

I took them and she heaved me to my feet. I stumbled forwards on top of her and we both flushed and hastily pushed each other away; a truly amusing sight to anyone unfortunate enough to catch us.

"Wow, you are heavier than you look. Must be all those feasts you surely attend." Iduna said to break the tension.

I laughed gratefully and honestly before starting off at a march towards the Castle, Iduna following at my heel.

Upon opening the doors to the Great Hall, I was greeted with three smiles: one from my sister, one from Frederic and one from Nuru-Baako.

I grinned in return, sauntering inside, highfiveing my best friend and ruffling Arianna's hair, much to her indignation.

"Iduna!" Nuru-Baako stood up, "What a lovely surprise."

She smiled at him, a smile that spiked jealousy in me towards the foreigner.

After last night, I'd learnt a lot more about Iduna and not only had that inspired new suspicion but it had also strengthened the attraction I felt towards her. It annoyed me that I may not be the only one she could grow to love.

Nuru-Baako pulled out a chair next to him and Iduna sank into it, much to my dismay.

After settling herself she turned her head to him with a look of elated disbelief on her face, "What are you doing here?"

"It's all been arranged with Agnarr's advisors." Nuru-Baako replied, reaching across the table to collect some bacon, "I'm staying for some time while Durtoriabi is made a member of the Alliance. We were going to be made part of it a few years ago, but we had some disagreements with the Kingdom of Lyone and the paperwork was abandoned and never finalised. So we are trying again now."

"Ah." Iduna nodded in understanding and looked down at the plate placed in front of her by Elisabeth. She smiled warmly at the older girl, but the latter just glanced at me bitterly before leaving the room.

"It's lovely to see you again Iduna." Arianna said, "I ran into Halima earlier and she said you were around here somewhere, only she didn't know where."

"I was out in the gardens." Iduna answered, "It's beautiful out there. Reminds me of a forest."

I grinned to myself, Iduna seemed to really like forests for some reason.

"I often think the same thing myself." Arianna grinned too.

"Like a mystical magical wood." Frederic raised his glass dramatically.