Chapter 25 : A Kiss To Remember

AGNARR

As soon as I'd gathered the bouquet of flowers for Iduna, I ran from the gardens without a second thought.

Arianna called to me as I tore passed her: "Where are you going 'Narr?"

But I was in too much of a hurry to answer her.

My feet pounded down the streets towards Iduna's house, the flowers whipping about beside me; it was a wonder they didn't loose all their petals. But I wouldn't slow down, not for the world.

This would either be the worst gift Iduna had ever received or the best gift. But either way, it was what I had been looking for, and I had this deep feeling that kept pulling on my heartstrings, telling me that she wanted this too.

I loved Iduna and once I'd finally admitted that to myself, I realised that I couldn't run from the truth anymore. Iduna had to know. And she had to know sooner rather than later.

We'd had lots of moments together which I thought would eventually escalate into something more. But they never did and I was always left disappointed. This was the moment when I was going to have to take that next step and force the relationship to either fly or fall.

But all too soon I was standing outside her door.

My heart thumped away in my chest but I didn't dare hesitate.

My knuckles met the door in a loud rap before I could change my mind.

No turning back.

Moments later the door was opened and Iduna stared back at me.

I was surprised I didn't just do it then. I wanted too. The way she was looking at me was making me crazy, but I caught myself just in time.

Her hand subconsciously jumped to her hair and I didn't think she realised that it had done, but I found it adorable that she seemed to care about her hair at all in my presence. She never usually did around people.

"Happy Birthday." I said to her, feeling awkward as I hadn't actually thought about what I was going to say. That hadn't seemed so important at the time.

She gave a smile at that, her hand reaching to find the doorframe, "Thanks."

I rubbed the back of my neck, trying to work out what to say next, but that didn't go well, I ended up stammering out some nonsense, "I umm ... I came here to give you these." I thrust out the bunch of flowers clumsily, one of the heads falling off, but I kept an unwavering smile on my face, hoping she liked them.

As with everything she was given, she seemed delighted and took the bouquet with gracious hands. She buried her nose in amongst the blossoms and smelt them.

My heart rate began to quicken beyond being out of breath as I felt the time coming.

When she lowered them again, she looked at me and said, "Thank you so much!"

I didn't really react, I was too busy working up the courage to finally do what I'd inexplicably wanted for years.

"I'd better go get some water for these," she began.

It was now or never.

"otherwise they'll wilt -"

I didn't let her finish. I wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her close and kissed her before I didn't. I'd never before realised that I didn't only want this, but I needed it - the feel of her lips against mine.

My eyes shut tight in case she didn't like it. I didn't want to see her expression. Her lack of movement was enough of an answer and I just wanted to soak up this moment while it lasted.