Chapter 32 : Appearances Are Everything

IDUNA

A smile found it's way onto my face as I lay in my bed, listening to the serene tweeting of the birds outside my window.

The world was at peace and that was how I liked it.

"MORNING!"

The sudden voice startled me and I leapt out of my bed, tumbling to the floor in an undignified heap of blankets and hair.

Silky laughter filled the room, "Oh Iduna. That was so very graceful. Elegant and poised - just like a Queen does it."

I rubbed my eyes and pulled myself to my feet, "You try falling out of bed gracefully when someone wakes you up so unexpectedly at a ridiculously early hour of the day." I grumbled, before getting a good look at who had woken me. "Arianna? Why are you - how did you - what are you doing in my room?"

She laughed again, "It's the first day of your etiquette and ballroom dancing lessons! Come on!" she grabbed my hand and dragged me behind a folding screen I'd never noticed in my room before.

"Where did this come from?" I asked as she pulled my nightgown from my body. Even with the hot light pooling in from the window, I had to shiver at the sudden coolness, having only my laced undergarments for warmth.

"I set it up while you were sleeping." she explained matter-of-factly, "You need to get used to these kinds of things if you're to be a Queen! And you especially need to get used to this."

"A corset?!" I shrieked, stepping backwards, "Oh no no no. No. I will not permit you to put that thing around me."

She rolled her eyes and grinned, "Come on! You would have had to wear one eventually, even if you weren't set to marry a King. I've had to wear one since I was sixteen."

I sighed and held my arms up for her to slide the white, lacey corset onto my torso. She then pulled the silk ribbons tight and I gasped, clutching at my chest.

"Blimey Ari, let me breath. I don't think the council wants me to start fainting every few minutes because I can't get air into my lungs."

"Sorry 'Una. It's just supposed to accentuate your curves!"

I burst into laughter at the sound of something so bizarre.

"Well, something like that anyway." and Arianna pulled tight again.

"I think I have natural curves. I don't need this evil non-breathing machine to accentuate anything!"

Arianna laughed this time and placed her hands on my shoulders, "The advisors gave me a list and corset was near the top."

I pressed a hand against my heart and widened my eyes, "They shouldn't be thinking of such things. It's shameful. I'm only sixteen."

She dissolved into mirth again, "Iduna, get ahold of yourself. If they heard you say that ..."

"Maybe then they'll learn their own dignity." I grinned.

"It's not very ladylike to say such things." Arianna warned, though her sparkling eyes told me she was enjoying herself.

"What else is on that list then?" I asked.

She shrugged, "If I told you then you'd freak out. So I'm breaking it down into one step at a time. I've rearranged their list into an appropriate order and first is clothes. Now," she finished tieing the corset up and moved away from me towards the case she had brought with her.

"Remember this!" she cried, producing the yellow and salmon dress I'd worn one breezy afternoon in the Autumn of three years ago.

"Oh, don't remind me." I covered my face to hide my flushed cheeks.