Chapter 31 : A Riveting Discussion

AGNARR

I was just settling into my chair at my desk when the doors to my office suddenly flew open and a breathless Iduna hurtled inside.

I stood abruptly, but was so stunned by her arrival that that was as far as my initial reaction went.

She opened her mouth and her words tumbled out in an overwhelming rush, "I'm so sorry Agnarr, for everything. I just hated the situation we were in and I tried to run from it, blaming you too, in a way. But I realise now that that was silly of me and this isn't your fault. It never was. I took some time away from this place because it terrified me; all the pressure and so forth - but that's how you feel every day. I acted rashly and unreasonably and I apologise for it. I just want to talk now. I think if we do that then everything will fall into place. We can begin to understand the situation and work our way through it. Together."

My mouth opened and closed stupidly for a few moments as I struggled to take in all that she had said. In the end, I approached her and just hugged her.

"I'm so happy you came back Iduna." I told her truthfully, my mind still reeling over her jumbled words. Somehow, I managed to snatch up that she wanted to talk and said, "That's all I want to do as well - talk I mean. We'll work something out. Maybe I can convince the Council to make it a later marriage. They say a Monarch in Arendelle should marry at least within a year of being crowned, but I think I can -"

She held a finger to my lips, quietening me.

"No. You don't have to do that. And anyway, we need to make sure I can actually win them over first. Before we think of marriage."

"One step at a time." I said.

She nodded, "Exactly."

"OK." I drew back and guided her towards my wide armchair, "So what should we talk about first?"

"I say we get our fears out of the way first. That's what started this all and they're probably very similar anyway." she answered, brushing her fringe from her face. But, in her flustered state, it fell back across her eyes and she huffed, irritated. I lifted my own hand and brushed it away again.

"Calm down, this will all work out in time." I assured her, "And I think you're right about the fears and doubts we have. I'm scared of loosing you; of having to marry another Lady and condemning her to a loveless marriage; of you feeling pressured and scared; and, admittedly though it makes me sound self-centred, my reputation." I sighed, burying my face in my palms, "It's only that; if I loose it, then I won't have respect. Arendelle may loose its trade partners, our Allies. This is all very unlikely if course, but it still lingers in my mind somewhere."

"All for marrying me?" she cried.

I didn't answer that question. I hated myself for thinking it, but it was unfortunately true; that could all potentially be lost if I married a girl of lower class. Some high class people had ridiculous views. "But don't worry, I'm certain everyone will love you."

"Right." Iduna said nervously, "Well. I'm scared of loosing you too. I'm scared of rushing things and, well, marrying you! Not that I don't think we'll marry, it's just - I don't want it to happen soon. I'm also scared of all the pressures and stress and not being approved and changing who I am for people to like me ... how do you handle it all? Did you have to change anything about yourself?"

"No, I grew up with the pressures so it's all very normal for me." I explained, "And I've been moulded this way since birth, it's in my nature to be King so I'm not pretending to be someone I'm not. And as for you," I rubbed my hands up and down her arms soothingly, "you don't need to change anything. You are perfect just the way you are. Really, all I mean is for you to understand Royal etiquette; to appear a certain way, then people will respect you and you'll gain your own reputation. But appearances are something else entirely to changing who you are."