Chapter 29 : He Is The King

AGNARR

While Arianna explained the whole sorry situation to Iduna, I busied myself with some useless task.

I couldn't look at the girl. I didn't want to see her reaction to what Kai had said. Plus, Arianna kept mentioning marriage and I was acutely aware of the fact Iduna wanted to take everything slowly.

This whole conversation was probably scaring her.

"So you really think I could prove to them that I'm -" she suddenly broke off and my eyes flicked up to her.

She didn't want to be a Queen. Of course she didn't. This was too sudden a thing to spring on her - way too much pressure all in one go. I had grown up with the pressure, I was used to it by now. But Iduna was carefree, she went with the flow. It was one of our perfect compliments.

"So you really think I could prove to them that I'm Queen material?" she tried again. I had to hand it to her for actually saying it.

Arianna gave a hasty nod and I silently wished she hadn't been so urgent. "Yes yes of course. Ever since I met you I couldn't help but notice all the good qualities you possess. A kindness, a calmness, an ability to make decisions, dare I even say - a stubbornness. I could go on." she said.

Iduna's pupils dilated a little. She was definitely terrified, I could tell. She didn't like this one bit, she wasn't comfortable with it. And somehow, it felt like my fault.

She looked over at me, almost surprised when she met my eyes. I felt like I should say something, anything, to appease her nerves. She was practically trembling. I wondered what was going on in her mind - she looked pretty overwhelmed and I wanted to know how to calm her. She always knew how to help me; I felt I should return the favour.

Then, all of a sudden, she stood up with an apruptness that made me feel uneasy, so I stood too. Maybe we shouldn't have told her. But she had the right to know. I seemed to be making all the wrong decisions lately.

Arianna got to her feet too. She brushed back Iduna's fringe with her thumb, trying to help, but Iduna was panicking. I could see the frenzy in her eyes and felt guilty; my mind worked overtime to find something to say.

My sister, at least, seemed to have something, but Iduna never let her say it as she suddenly sprinted from the office.

I pushed back my chair, ready to go after her, but Arianna pulled me back.

"Let her go Agnarr. She needs to figure this out for herself." she pleaded with me, struggling to keep me in the room, "Please. Just let her go."

I wrestled with her a moment more before giving up and kicking the wooden floor angrily. "What have I done 'Anna?" I asked her.

She carefully rubbed my arm to calm me once again, and gave me a piteous smile, "You haven't done anything. She just needs time. She knows the pressure of being with a King I'm sure -"

"Exactly. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have kissed her. We'd continue on as friends and Iduna would never have to worry about these things. She wouldn't have to panic about the prospect of being Queen. She wouldn't have to think about marriage so soon. She hates it, all of it. Really, the only thing she seems to like at all is me. And because I am who I am, she probably won't like me much longer."

"Rubbish." Arianna scoffed, "Iduna loves you. She's told me before. I know what I'm talking about here. She's willing to do anything to be with you. So she only needs time to process all of this. Like you say, it's all very new to her, it's nothing familiar or maybe even what she wants, but if it means being with the man of her dreams, she'll work through it. Don't beat yourself up."