Chapter 47 : Forgiveness

AGNARR

"Fred!" I shouted, racing after my best friend as he made his way towards his boat, my sister by his side.

It had only been a few hours since the Engagement party ended, but the Coronan Prince wasted no time in getting back home. I didn't know if that was because the following day was his Grandmother's birthday, or because he couldn't stand being around me any longer. The only reason he seemed to have come at all was for Arianna, who was walking beside him now.

"Fred! Wait up!" I called again.

This time he turned around, but he seemed rather reluctant to do so.

Arianna said something to her boyfriend and kissed his cheek before heading up the ramp to the ship. Frederic remained behind for me to reach him.

"What is it Agnarr?" he asked, his tone still cold.

"I just had a reality check." I grinned breathlessly.

An unexpected smile stretched across his face as it slowly dawned on him what I meant by this.

To my delight, he heartily invited me aboard the ship, and once we were nicely settled in his cabin, I explained to them what I had come to realise.

After Renata had asked what it meant to love someone, I had come to my senses.

I had promised myself never to let Iduna go for a second time. She hadn't made that easy, and I'd completely given up after she left for Corona, but Renata had inadvertently made me abruptly realise what it meant for me to love her and how letting her run away had been a grave mistake after all.

I wanted us to be happy, and apart, neither of us were happy. I was miserable and Renata just couldn't fill that gaping hole in my heart. No one could, because I loved Iduna, and Iduna alone.

I knew the girl wasn't particularly happy with me at the moment, and my change in behaviour, but I would get to the bottom of that. I would find out exactly how I had changed and fix it, so she could accept me again.

Then, once we were both content, all I needed to do was find a way for us to be together without having to risk war. I didn't know how to do that just yet, but surely there was a way.

When I finished, Arianna shook her head.

"Look 'Narr. Actually, first of all, I'm so glad you've come to your senses over this. You're definitely doing the right thing. And I think perhaps I was wrong when I said you should forget everything. It was wrong to threaten the Alliance of course, but marrying Renata should have been avoided too."

"Someone pinch me because I must be dreaming." I joked, "The high and mighty Princess Arianna just admitted she was wrong for once! This can't be true!"

She slapped my arm, "Don't tease me! But look,"

Frederic and I were laughing so much that she had to shush us before she could continue.

"Look, it wasn't exactly that your normal side had changed, it was that your King side had changed. It was when you were in meetings that you were someone else. Making all the wrong choices for all the wrong reasons."

My brow knitted together, "But that's ridiculous. I know what I'm doing in those meetings. I only cut trade with Whitlington, I didn't cut the Alliance."

The couple just stared at me, an eyebrow raised.

"What?"

"But that's pointless! Just think about it. You cut trade. But why?"