Chapter 1 : The Enchanted Forest

AGNARR

It was finally the day I had been waiting for!

Four years ago, the Northuldra people had come to offer my father, King Runeard, their friendship and peace. In honour of this, my father had built them a mighty dam to strengthen their waters, and in just a few hours we would be visiting them in their Enchanted Forest where the elements thrived and helped them in everyday life.

I had sprung out of bed and changed barely before the sunrise and was waiting anxiously in the library, my hands gripping tightly to an old book on Northuldran culture as I sat curled on the floor and lent against the shelves.

It wasn't until Halima came in to sweep that I was pulled away from the magical place, which thrilled me to my very core every time I read about it.

"Prince Agnarr!" the woman cried in surprise, "Good heavens, you gave me a right scare, Your Highness. What are you doing here?"

I myself jumped too and I turned my head to look at her, "I'm sorry Halima. I've been up for hours. I'm just so excited for this afternoon." I grinned sheepishly.

"I'm sure you are." She looked amused as she began to sweep the nearest bookshelf.

I sprang up and put the book back in its place.

Halima was the only person apart from my personal guard, Destin Mattias, and sister, Arianna, to treat me like an actual person instead of some Prince. I liked them both very much (loving my sister obviously) and had been ecstatic when Destin became my personal guard. Sometimes he would treat me with a little more respect, but I liked to think that was because of his duties rather than him believing in the superiority nonsense and that he did genuinely like me as a person.

I hesitated for a moment, then asked, "Is breakfast ready yet? I wouldn't want to be late, my father hates it when I'm late."

Halima smiled gently at me, "Don't worry Your Highness, everything's fine. You've got a little more time until breakfast will be served, but I'd run along now if I were you."

I grinned again and began to run from the library.

"Oh and Prince Agnarr!" she called.

I stopped in the doorway and turned to her.

"Say hello to Destin when you see him later, won't you?"

My grin stretched even further, this time knowing; the two had been courting each other for years! "Will do Halima."

I raced down the corridors, and burst into the Great Hall.

Fortunately, my father was not there and the kind-faced, blonde-haired Elisabeth was only just setting the table.

"Good morning Your Highness." she curtsied politely.

"Oh there's no need for that Elisabeth." I told her, smiling awkwardly, "But good morning to you."

The 17-year-old was so startled with this formality that she dropped the goblet in her hands and turned pink.

I stepped forwards to pick it up, but she did the same and we bumped heads.

"I'm so sorry Your Highness!" she fumbled, and bolted upright, forgetting the goblet which had tumbled from her hand once again as we made contact.

I hid my amused laugh behind my hand, stood, and handed her the goblet, "No worries."

She looked rather flustered by now, and as she took it our hands brushed. She hurried away to put it on the table, one hand jumping from her hair to her apron to her sleeve and back again.