Chapter 33 : Queen In Training

AGNARR

I sat, as was usual these days, in the throne at the front of the ballroom. A stack of paperwork was piled beneath the velvet chair - most waiting to be looked over, signed and stamped - and I was clutching a piece of parchment detailing the new trades the advisors wanted to set up with lots of different Kingdoms.

My hand rubbed my face as I stifled an exhausted yawn. Outside the tall windows I could see darkness claiming the skies and stars twinkling down at us.

But despite the sleepiness of everything around us, including myself, Arianna and Iduna were still going strong in the middle of the room.

Iduna was looking as radiant and stunning as ever, and had about five books piled on her head, but not even one was sliding around dangerously like they had a mere three days before.

My sister was doing a fantastic job of tutoring her actually, giving her all the best tips and really bringing out the best in her.

I'd always known Iduna had what it took, but she was more of a natural than I could have ever imagined!

If the council didn't approve of her then it would be the most shocking turn of events in history - the way Iduna presented herself ... anyone would think she really was a noble, and that couldn't all be taught to her.

She would show up to the Castle each day in a new dress and a new hairstyle which always made me stare like some lovesick idiot. But I couldn't help it, she just took my breath away with the way she moved and pulled off the more extravagant stuff - things she'd never dared try before, except that one Autumn day when we were younger.

I tried to ignore the pounding of my heart whenever she smiled at me, but it was near impossible. I just fell in love with her a little more each day and I could hardly wait to show the council what she was made of.

On this particular evening, I was trying to shut out the two girls' excited chatter in order to finish reading the advisors' proposals on trade with Ebiza. The whole thing had essentially been a ten page essay full of benefits of trade with each Kingdom we either had or didn't already have trade with - except the Southern Isles that is; the council seemed to have finally accepted what I'd said about that - and I was finally almost finished, but Iduna seemed to be purposely trying to distract me with sudden exaggerated spins of her dress and meaningfully directed, dazzling smiles.

Maybe the night was getting to her after all.

I almost grinned as I noticed her becoming slightly agitated at my refusal to pay her attention and instead idly move my hand across the paper to see the second half. But then I scratched the tip of my nose with the pencil in my hand and furrowed my brow in concentration as the paper grew increasingly difficult to digest.

Iduna seemed to give up for a while after that, turning back to Arianna for her instructions, and I breathed a silent sigh of relief. She'd been getting to me, it made me feel hot and flustered, but excited too.

My eyes soon flicked up to the top of the parchment where they squinted to double check the words written there, before travelling back down to the bottom half. It was getting harder to think with exhaustion fogging my mind and the distraction of Iduna only a few feet away.

" 'Narr!" a voice suddenly called to me.

At first I continued to ignore them, thinking it was some silly rouse, but when they called again, a little more annoyed this time, I looked up.

"Iduna has almost mastered everything I've thrown at her. So I think we can now start Ballroom dances, on top of everything else I have yet to offer her." Arianna said.