Chapter 39 : Three Surprise Guests

AGNARR

The grandfather clock ticked steadily. My pencil tapped rhythmically against the side of my table. The words on the parchment leapt out at me and I couldn't concentrate on a thing.

I had never once imagined things would come to this.

Iduna had always sat in my armchair while I did paperwork, either reading or widdling away on a piece of wood, and lifting her head to offer her advice whenever I needed it, even if I didn't think I needed it. I'd even imagined that one day, our very own child might play in here too.

But now, whenever I looked up at that empty chair, I felt a fresh wave of sadness as the harsh reality stabbed a little deeper. Iduna was gone and she would never offer her opinion again.

She had become disgusted by what the Council said and had soon given up on offering her own ideas because the men in that boardroom nearly always ended up rejecting it. And while I'd recoiled whenever they had done that, they always had a good point to contradict her's with, and I had to agree with both sides, offering compromises which ended up leaning in favour of the advisors.

I gave a heavy sigh and leaned back in my chair, twiddling the pencil between my fingers and trying to ignore the two girls spending time together in the gardens on the edge of my vision.

Getting over Iduna may not have been so bad if I didn't see her with my sister all the time. I didn't want to get over her at all, but it would seem I didn't have a choice. For one thing, Iduna was still avoiding me, barely acknowledging my existence. For a second, the advisors had started discussing other 'options' again, and the fear of being married off without my consent was back.

Just like my sister and Halima, the advisors and Royal Guards weren't at all supportive or sensitive to the fact I'd just been through a breakup. To be honest, it surprised me that they didn't care because I'd thought they liked Iduna, but they seemed somewhat pleased she was now out of the picture. They were awfully closed off, mysterious and frankly unpredictable when it came to that girl.

I let out another sigh, this time exasperated, as I found myself watching the girls as they danced around, making the most of the small slivers of sunshine breaking through the Winter clouds.

Fortunately, a sudden knocking at the door distracted me from my distress, and I turned to find Gunnar entering my office.

"Good afternoon Your Majesty. Good heavens, you look awful."

I chuckled lightly at the butler's blunt words and recklessly pushed my chair onto its back legs, "I missed my midday nap Gunnar, nothing to worry about."

"Well, you might want to freshen yourself up before you come downstairs. You have some visitors."

The front two legs of my chair returned to the floor with a thud and I furrowed my brow, "Who?"

"You'll find out in due time. Come along now." Gunnar held back the door for me.

Curious and bewildered, I followed him from the room and back to my own quarters where I splashed my face with cool water and combed through my hair. When Gunnar agreed I was presentable enough, he led me down the stairs and into the entrance hall where I gasped audibly before I could stop myself.

A cheery, rotund man and a sallow-faced woman stood in the middle of the hall. The woman was disdainfully glancing around at the ornate decorations and furnishings, occasionally looking over her shoulder at the young Lady who was wandering around, also taking in her surroundings, only she seemed more impressed and content.

I recognised them all immediately: King Rufeal, Queen Lucia, and Princess Renata of Ebiza. But what were the doing here?

When the King saw me, he greeted me with a bright beam and crossed across the floor, offering his hand. "King Agnarr of Arendelle. It's been a while, but it's so good to see you once again."