Chapter 26 : The Carpenter Dream

IDUNA

A couple weeks had passed since the first time Agnarr kissed me, and yet that initial excitement still hadn't faded.

I was still buzzing even while I waited in the small, dingy room opposite Thomas Jordsen's office; the man in charge of the woodcarving business.

Though, this particular buzz came from the fact that Agnarr had given me a good luck kiss before the interview I waited for now. 

I'd told him all about my love of woodcarving and the stubborn man standing in my way. He'd been as supportive as I'd always known he could be and he'd told me that if worse came to the worse, he would help me get the job I wanted.

It was very sweet of him, but I couldn't accept his offer. This was something I wanted, and felt I had, to do on my own.

I soon began to twiddle my fingers around each other as time drew on and on and the silence became unbearable; anxiety and unease settled in my mind beside the happiness and joy of being with Agnarr. What was taking him so long? 

My eyes flicked up to trace the dark grooves of Thomas' closed, wooden door. The longer I watched them, the more unease I felt. I just wanted to stalk in there and get the interview started, but if I stood any chance of him employing me, I had to be patient. If I went in there unannounced I would immediately be in his bad books, with even less of a chance of becoming a woodcarver.

I presently began feeling slightly sick with nerves and I looked towards the floor, away from the thick door that blocked Thomas Jordsen from my view.

I'd figured out what I was going to say weeks ago, but now I feared I'd never be able to say them; perhaps he didn't even know I'd come to apply for a job. Perhaps he'd seen my application papers and decided he didn't want to see me. Perhaps he'd ...

The door suddenly opened and I stood abruptly, feeling awed by the man's presence. He was tall and well-built; his eyebrows were heavy over his dark, calculating eyes and a scowl was spread across his face, but Halima had warned me he always wore that expression.

"Iduna, isn't it?" he spoke gruffly.

I gave a quick nod of my head, "Yes Mr Jordsen Sir."

He flapped a hand at me and my stomach knotted with dread and an uncertainty that I didn't like.

"There's no need for such formalities, girl, just call me one or the other. Now don't keep me waiting any longer."

Amongst the anxiety and dread weaved a golden thread of my own stubbornness as he said that, and I frowned. What did he mean him? He was the one who had kept me waiting!

I marched into his office, holding my head as high as I dared, trying to come across as confident but not arrogant or cocky.

He gestured warily at the small, wooden chair opposite his own large, leather seat, which he slumped in, folding his hands on the desk in front of him.

I took the seat and crossed my hands politely on my lap, opening my mouth to speak first but Thomas went ahead of me.

"So. Halima tells me you want a job as a carpenter. I'm here to tell you now that you have until the long hand reaches the twelve on that clock." he pointed to the huge grandfather clock standing proudly behind him, "I only considered seeing you at all because she told me how eager you were and she and I are old friends. So, convince me. Why should I take a girl on? Especially one as young as yourself? What do you have to offer as a carpenter?"

I stared at him for a few moments, completely dumbfounded. Then my eyes found the clock and I realised he was barely giving me five minutes to say what I needed to say. And the problem was, what I'd planned to say had now completely gone from my mind.