Chapter 27 : An Ideal Bride

AGNARR

"Are you sure it's wise to tell them?" Arianna asked as we walked down yet another corridor towards Kai's office.

"You won't talk me out of it 'Anna. I'm dreading the Council's reaction too, but I'd rather they hear it from me first, it might not be so bad then." I told her, my mind unswaying.

She rolled her eyes at me, "But 'Narr. It's already been two weeks. There's a chance they've already found out."

I stopped for a moment, then shook my head and continued, "Well maybe. But then there's all the more reason to tell them. To find out whether or not they know."

"And why Kai first?" Arianna asked. She really seemed to be grasping at straws now. Typical.

I looked at her, "What do you mean? Oh, this isn't another of your silly conspiracies, is it? I don't know how many times I need to tell you; we've already sorted that out."

Over the last year, she had started voicing these ideas that she had, about a dark force rising within the Castle walls. She seemed to think there were more people against me, but she also seemed to forget that I had eradicated that threat almost three years ago - there was no reason to worry anymore.

"They aren't silly, and as a matter of fact - yes. It is another of my 'conspiracies'. I don't trust him." she closed her eyes arily and folded her arms, jutting her chin into the sky.

"You don't trust anyone." I muttered darkly.

She rolled her eyes at me, "Fine. Ignore my warnings if you're too foolish to listen and take them on board. I'm telling you, their plan was fated to succeed Agnarr. I can't stress enough that you can't escape it." she marched off then, leaving me alone in the corridor.

I shook myself down and shoved her warnings from my mind. She was crazy if she thought she was right. I was King, she was not. I alone knew what was best for my Kingdom. It was one of the nicer things Colden had said to me.

I turned the corner then and found myself outside of Kai's office. I hesitated for a moment before rapping smartly at his door.

Arianna didn't know what she was talking about when it came to this either. I did need to tell my advisors about my relationship with Iduna. It was wrong to keep it a secret, especially when they were bound to find out someway somehow. I was sure it would sound best coming directly from me. Also, if I had any intention of this courting going somewhere, I probably needed the approval of the Council.

Kai opened the door and smiled warmly at the sight of me. "Agnarr, how good to see you. Do come in."

"Thank you." I said in response, moving passed him into his office. It was finely furnished with polished oak, and it looked pristine, like he'd only just cleaned it.

Kai closed the door behind me and took a seat behind his desk, sliding his glasses back onto his nose as he turned to the papers organised neatly on its glossy surface. I suddenly remembered that was how my desk had once looked, but with Nuru-Baako gone most of the time, it rarely ever looked so tidy.

When Kai realised I was still standing, he gestured to the armchair in the corner of the room, beside his small library.

I walked over to the chair and eased myself into it, practically sinking when I finally sat down.

"What did you want to talk about Your Majesy?" he asked presently, "Assuming you came here for a reason?"

"Err. Yes I did. Umm, I just thought I ought to tell you that I've started courting someone." I began cautiously, my voice wobbling with the fear of how he would take the news.