Chapter 18 : Presents Galore

IDUNA

"Thank you." I said shyly, staring at my feet and fiddling with my hands.

When I'd bought Agnarr his present a few days ago, I'd never imagined he might actually do the same for me - but now that he had, I didn't really know how to react.

It seemed I didn't need to though; because I suddenly felt an odd sensation in the small of my back - almost like the wind spirit, but that was impossible - and I stepped impulsively towards him.

Everything fell into slow motion and my breath caught in my throat.

I was so close to him that I could see there was a hint of green in the hazel of his eyes.

There was really no turning back now and I did it - I kissed his cheek.

It was so surreal and I felt a bit lightheaded as I pulled back. My cheeks were burning ten times worse than every other time something like this happened between us, and I tried to play it off casually by brushing the fringe from my eyes. I planned to even say something, but nothing interesting came to mind and I sort of sidled away sheepishly.

Once I was back with Halima, I mentally kicked myself and rubbed the heels of my hands into my eyes, questioning my existence.

Glancing back at Agnarr, I saw he was frozen in place - unmoving.

Had I broken him?

Arianna and Nuru-Baako hurried down the stairs and they both shook him violently. If I wasn't so embarrassed I might have laughed, but I buried my head on Halima's shoulder, wishing I had a plank of wood I could smack over my head repeatedly.

I had done that all the time in the Forest. It was my thing and had become this massive joke amongst the tribe.

"What's gotten into you, honey?" Halima chuckled, stroking my hair.

"Nothing." I mumbled into her jumper.

She laughed a little more heartily and pecked my forehead. It reminded me of what had just unfolded and as my face was already so red, my ears had to turn pink instead.

"OK." she said gently, "We can go home now if you'd like."

I lifted my head and went to march straight out of the courtyard, but Halima took my hand and held me back as she waved to the young Royals dragging Agnarr up the stairs.

"Goodbye my dears!" she called.

Arianna turned around, looking almost tipsy as she was giggling so much, "Goodbye Halima! Happy holidays!"

"Goodbye." Nuru-Baako returned too, waving as if nothing had happened.

Then they shoved the young King through the doors and were gone.

"Huh," Halima began, as we walked out of the gates and onto the street, finally on our way home. Cricket bounded ahead of us and I tried to focus on him instead of Agnarr.

Easy enough in theory - but impossible when put to the test.

"I wonder what's gotten into Agnarr." she finished thoughtfully.

I pulled at a loose strand on my shawl and gave a nervous laugh, "Who knows?"

Halima shrugged, "Must be all the excitement. He often can't deal with it very well."

"Brilliant quality for a King." I replied absently and sarcastically. Not so bad for me.

Wait, what?