Chapter 44 : Her New Adventure

IDUNA

"Come on Iduna," Erik called, marching down the wooden ramp to the docks of Corona. "soul-searching awaits!"

I didn't register his words at first. Instead I continued to stand at the top of the ramp, taking in the Kingdom of the Sun. It looked just as magnificent as Arianna and Frederic had always described. But while I was in awe, I was also in utter turmoil: I couldn't shake the feeling that I didn't belong here.

"Iduna?" Erik shot me a confused look and I came back to myself with a small shake of my head.

"Right behind you Erik. Sorry. Got caught in the moment." I hoisted my case into my hands, took a deep breath, and descended the ramp towards my new adventure.

I had agreed to join Erik for at least a few days until I found my feet. He had planned ahead of course, finding a place to stay before he'd left Arendelle, and the cottage had enough bedrooms and space for the both of us. I feared it would be awkward with the love he still seemed to have for me, but I told myself that, as I didn't feel the same, nothing would ever happen.

And anyway, if he really loved me, he would hopefully accept I wasn't interested and finally move on after all these years.

"Don't worry about it. It's very Iduna of you." he grinned, and I had to ignore his suggestiveness.

"Funny that." I instead quipped, causing him to laugh.

"So where's this little cottage of yours?" I asked him as we walked down a Coronan street side-by-side. It was beautiful and strangely exotic, lined with glowing lanterns and vibrant, foreign shrubbery.

"Not too far, I should think." Erik answered, looking around and occasionally squinting at the piece of scrap paper he held in his hand.

I raised an eyebrow at him, vaguely amused, "Do you have any idea where you're going?"

"Of course I do." he said, "It's just - I've never been here before. I don't know the streets." he gestured around.

I patted his shoulder, "Yeah ... that sounds plausible."

"Plausible?" Erik spluttered, "Gee, thanks for the benefit of the doubt Iduna!"

I laughed, "You asked for it!"

"Ahw - never mind." he shook his head before suddenly stopping, "I think ..." he glanced up at a neat, little cottage nestled alongside another, almost identical house, and a large oak tree. "... this is it."

"I hope it is." I breathed, my eyes roaming the cottage, "This place is simply gorgeous."

Out the corner of my eye, I saw Erik grin as he approached the house, "Welcome to Sonne Cottage, Iduna of Arendelle."

"Borlun." I commented absently as I followed Erik through the front door and took in the beautiful interior of the fine home.

"What?"

I suddenly realised what I'd said and looked at a bewildered Erik.

"I'm actually from Borlun, Corona. So I'm Iduna of Borlun, not Arendelle. We moved to Arendelle when my grandmother died, but I was born here." I scratched my head sheepishly as Erik looked away, satisfied with my explanation. The lie had become second nature, but it still felt horrible.

"Well then, welcome home." Erik corrected himself before carrying his case upstairs.

I shook my head, annoyed with myself for saying anything, and dumped my own case at the bottom of the stairs before wandering into the nice little kitchen. It was airy and warm despite being quite small. The large window displaying an array of little ornaments and showcasing the street beyond made the room seem a lot bigger than it was, and the ingenious storage solutions allowed more things to be kept inside, including a round, polished table and four chairs.