What You Fight About

Roger Bartlett

The only memorable thing you and roger fought over was when your daughter, Virginia told you both that a boy had asked her to a big school dance.

Given that Virginia is his only girl, he is obviously quite protective... and this was no exceptions. He had a small rant about why he didn't want her to go with a boy he hadn't even spoken to, telling her that he wouldn't allow it.

You stepped in when you heard her exclamation of "what?" and disagreed with him

"well, I think its quite nice that she wants to go with this boy. Besides, Roger, it's just a dance," you turned to your daughter, "Of course you can go sweetheart"

He grunted in frustration, "No, no. She's not going until I get to know this boy. And I'm the man of the house, so what I say is final!"

You crossed your arms, raising your eyebrows, "Is that right? Look here, Roger, you may be a captain in the army but right here, in this house- in our house- you are not. I- "

"you are MY WIFE. You're supposed to be on my side!" He stood up straight, raising his voice slightly. Your daughter had long since stepped out from the middle of you two.

"And you are HER FATHER. You're supposed to be on her side!" You argued back, meeting his vocal challenge.

"I know that! That's why I'm saying this, woman! She's my only daughter and I want to make sure she is safe!"

"And you think I don't, Roger?" You ask, incredulously

"With how you were acting, no, I don't think so! How can she be safe if you don't check?"

Suddenly, the air changed. There was silence. He sighed, reaching out to you, realising his words may have offended you.

"Its alright, mum, daddy," Virginia sighed, looking down at her feet, "I'll just tell Valerie that I'm not going to the dance."

She walked away, closing the door to her bedroom.

You scowled at your husband, still hurt by his statement, and turned away from his outstretched hand.

"Roger Bartlett... Those children are half of me as well. I love them and you know it " You stated coldly, striding furiously to your shared bedroom and slamming the door shut.

He huffed, feeling guilty for forbidding your daughter from going. He knew you were quite upset with him which made him a little bit unsure. He'd never had this happen before so he wasn't sure what to expect. He hoped you would calm down and forgive him.

~~~

That didn't happen. At least not right away.

~~

 He had come to bed that night to you reading a book in bed. You didn't give off any signs that showed you had even seen him enter the room but he passed it off as getting very into the current page. After completing his nightly ritual, he laid down beside you, on his side, facing you. Once again, you paid him no mind but closed your book and rolled onto your side, turning the lamp off and plunging you both into light darkness.

He could see the faint outline of your figure in the darkness, reaching his arm out to slide around your waist and clasp your hand. You rolled your shoulder, pushing his arm off and shifted away further, confirming that you were in fact still very much annoyed with his behaviour.

The morning was just the same. You made breakfast as usual but continued giving him the cold shoulder. Even the boys noticed this, Andrew telling him, "Dad, you've ballsed that up".