Come Home Alive (E.AP)

Prompt: "I wish you were here"

Eric was now beside the phone; his usual place every Saturday- if possible. For a little over an hour, he'd lean against the wall, listening to everything the angel on the other line had to say. She certainly could talk for England but if he was honest, it was something he loved about her.

He brought the earpiece to the side of his face and spoke into the mouthpiece that was stationary on the wall, "Hello, operator. Get me ___ ___"

It wasn't one of those nice rotary phones where you could simply punch in a number. It was one of those, strictly speaking, phones, made of metal and bakelite. Not that he really minded. What difference did it make when it made the link between his girl and him.

It took a little over a minute before he could hear the reassuring beep of the ringing on the other line.

And then the mellifluous voice of an angel ensued.

"Hello?"

He giggled lightly under his breath in understated euphoria, "Hello, sweetheart. How are you? I'm sorry I didn't call last week."

She sighed in relief but he could hear the smile in her voice nonetheless, "It's alright. You're alright. We've been fine here, cousin Josie has lost her first tooth. Just out of curiosity, why were you missing last week, I was worried." He knew well that it was not just curiosity. She had probably been frazzled to pieced and worried the whole week

"Oh, don't worry, I just had a little bit of trouble with something. Hurt my ankle and needed to stay in on Saturday. That's lovely for Josie. Do send her my love and well wishes, she's turning- 4 is it?"

There was a pause in the conversation for a moment before she sighed, this time with something different in her voice.

"Oh, Eric please don't overdo it. I know you've got to fight a war out there but what am I to do when there's a different one here? Please, for the love of God, don't do anything stupidly brave. "

He shifted against the wall sighing just a little, "I know, I didn't want to worry you like that and I know I have a history of doing stupidly courageous things."

He could hear the distinct sound of paper through the line and her fragile humming.

"Thank you, Eric. And yes. Roger can give you a list of things you could have avoided. Hopefully, when you get back, you'll have the rest of your life to accidentally get yourself killed"

He chuckled, twisting the line in his fingers and smiling down the barrel.

"And until then, sweetheart?"

"Oh, Eric. Just focus on coming home alive, I suppose"

"I love you. I can't count the times the thought of you has saved my life," he whispered

"I love you too. I can't count the times I've wished that you were here with me, Eric"

The call had ended and once again, like so many nights before, he was left with a smile.

She really wants him home at all? Who'd have thought that even after so long, she'd not grown tired of him? He'd certainly not grown weary of her and it seems the feeling was mutual. What's more, she'd wished he was home with her already, perhaps more so than anyone ever had wished of him.

He made the promise then and there; to always come home to her, alive.