"Daddy, please"

A dog in the neighbourhood had attacked little Virginia in the garden. Luckily, your dog had managed to fight him off. The only problem was that both she and Hazel were hurt. All of the boys were huddled around your bawling daughter, clutching her newly bandaged leg, while Roger looked over Hazel. 

"I'm sorry, darlings. It doesn't look too good..." he trailed off.

Hazel howled in pain and you could see Roger's face flinch. You squeezed his shoulder and looked down. You knew what was coming. So did he. He just didn't want to believe it.

"Roger, it's alright; if you want, I'll do it-" He cut you off, clutching your hand.

"No. It'll be better that I do it. I'll go get the gun. Please just go get him some cheese, love..." You sighed, leaning down to kiss his shoulder.

You returned from the house just as Roger emerged from the garage. Pathetic whimpers left your throat, thinking about what was to come.

Andrew, your oldest, looked at you and then to Roger. To the dog and back to his sister. He was old enough to really, fully understand but that couldn't stop the tears rolling down his cheeks.

He looked sadly at you as you knelt beside your sons and daughter. 

"Darlings, daddy's gotta send Hazel to heaven now. I need all of you to get inside. Sandy can nick some ice lollies out of the freezer, okay?"

~~~

He sighed, cocking the rifle. Hazel's big brown eyes looked up at him, whimpering; pleading at him. 

The cold barrel of the gun pressed against his furry forehead, shaking like it was his first time shooting. 

Suddenly, the gun was smacked from his hands and a wail echoed through the air.

"Don't hurt my doggy, daddy!" Virginia cried, kneeling down beside Hazel, wrapping her tiny arms around his dirty, bloody neck. She wept uncontrollably, trying to hide her face in his red fur. He whined, moving his head slightly to try and lick her wounded leg.

"Don't hurt my doggy, dont hurt my doggy. Mummy, tell daddy to stop!" She howled. Your body shuddered as a sob racked your throat. 

"Mummy, please! I love my doggy!"

"I know, sweetheart, I know," you whispered. Roger pulled you into his side as you mourned, "But, Hazel's in a lot of pain right now. He needs to get to heaven."

She flung herself into your arms, hands flailing madly. You tucked her under your chin, spinning her to face your chest while covering her eyes as you walked back to the porch of the house.

You heard the bang just as you and the kids cuddled together under the blanket on the sofa. Sandy leaned against your chest, listening to your heartbeat, with Ashley, Blake and, Thomas tucked safely under your arms. Virginia lay across you, leaning against Ashley's chest as she hiccupped.

Roger entered the room an hour later, scratching at his shaking hands. He saw the absolute look of despair on your face as you consoled your children and sobbed for the first time that day. 

"Just called Mac, darling..." he shuddered, "We'll take care of it all later on"

He was trying to be strong but the look in his eyes was nothing short of intense dolour. 

You nodded. The room felt so much colder than it had any other day. The empty dog bed served as a grim reminder of that.

~~~

Roger couldn't really blame Virginia for leaving the comfort of her mother to curl up in his old bed, lachrymose sobs rocking her to the core.

That night, he too felt the weight of Hazel, as if he was still laying on their bed like so many nights before. You'd never seen him cry but that night, you cried together, mourning a friend.

~~~~~

This one ended up hitting way deeper than I originally intended it to but don't think it's too bad

- J. M. Wilder