16

☾

Bella and Edward were in Carlisle's study as they waited for Alice to tell them it was okay to come down, Alice had prepared a birthday gathering for the human girl as it was her eighteenth birthday. Edward was telling Bella about the leaders of their world, stood infront of a very old painting of the volturi from the seventeen hundreds.

"The Volturi are a very old, very powerful...family. I guess they're the closest thing to royalty my world has" Edward told her as he looked at the painting before him. Bella was in wonder at the sight of it, the three men in the middle looked like kings as they stood upon a balcony and looked down to what seemed to be people offering gifts and bowing up to them. She then noticed three figures stood to the side of them.

"Is that Carlisle? And....the twins" she asked him in shock, she knew Carlisle was old but she didn't realise the twins were aswell.

They looked like a prince and princess as they stood by the blonde kings side, they certainly stood out from the rest of the figures in the painting. Whilst everyone else was dressed in golds and neutrals, the twins adorned dark, blood red robes and underneath an all black outfit.

Katherine had a full back corset with a long black skirt that made her figure stand out gorgeously, golden jewellery littered their necks and fingers as they stared ahead with emotionless and cold expressions. They looked expensively dangerous.

What stood out to her was their eyes, they were a crimson red like the three men beside them. So they were human drinkers? Bella shivered slightly as their intimidating expressions stared back at her, she had seen Kol with that look before, it was more of his neutral face that he wore most of the time, but Katherine threw her off, she had never seen the raven haired girl look like this before, no smile, no smirk, no mischief behind her eyes, just....blank.

Edward saw her reaction and nodded in agreement, seeing the twins this way was very off putting, it was hard to even think of them as they were back in their time in the volturi. Edward and Carlisle were the only ones who truly understood why the twins couldn't bear going back to them, yes they were treated like royalty in the volturi but they were.... monsters with them, killing humans and vampires with no hesitation, causing people the most torturous pain with no remorse. Edward remembered the memory of them feeding off of humans, taking their anger out on their fragile bodies, limbs being torn off, thick blood seeping into their clothes as it dripped from their lips messily. They were worse than Jane and Alec but the volturi relished in the power they gave them.

They were already loosing their humanity in the army they had been forced in but with the volturi they lost it completely, that is of course until Carlisle and her got to them, it took a while but they never gave up on them. They restored the twins humanity.