Chapter 30

After dessert, Zack leaves for a team bonding night. Daniel sits at my desk with a new UMichigan sweatshirt on, surveying the place as he opens up the leftovers.

"You have fun?" I ask him as I plop onto my bed, hugging my teddy bear to my chest.

He nods. "It's cool here," he says. He clears his throat. "I'm glad you're happy."

I smile softly. "Thanks... Are you happy?"

He rubs his thighs, eyes focusing on the ground. The silence is enough of an answer.

"I'm not unhappy," he decides finally. "But it's hard to be happy when everyone around you is fighting all the time."

"I'm sorry," I say, knowing I'm the cause. "You don't deserve that."

"I just... It's confusing," he says. "Because they've always given me everything. So I thought it was the same way with you and that you were just being ungrateful. They always made me think you were the bad guy and it was stupid of me to believe it. I should've said something-"

"No, Daniel," I say. "I'm your older sister. I'm the one who's supposed to protect you."

"But you tried," he says. "I didn't even try. I just believed all the bullshit they said."

"They're your parents," I say. "Of course you trusted them. Please don't blame yourself."

Reaching out, I grab his hand. We both freeze slightly at the contact but I keep my hand on his until he relaxes. "Are they treating you okay?"

He nods. "They're fine. It's just hard realizing your parents aren't really good people."

"They really love you," I say. "I don't think that'll ever change."

"I feel like the only reason Dad even cares is because of football," he says quietly. "They just... They put all of their expectations on us. Everything that they wanted in their lives that they couldn't get, they want us to have but it's like they care about those goals more than us as people."

I turn silent. It's been unfair of me to assume that just because Daniel had what I didn't that he hasn't had any issues at all.

"Do you need me to help you with anything? School or money? You aren't planning on leaving, are you?"

"No," he says. "Even though I know they're not great people, they're good to me. I still owe it to them to be a good son."

"Listen," I tell him. "It is not your job to live out the lives they wanted."

He takes a deep breath. "It feels like it is," he says. "And to be honest, with you leaving, it feels like I'm their last hope. I don't wanna let them down."

I lean forward to hug him and this time it's not as stiff. No matter how tall he gets or how many medals he wins, he's still a boy.

"You're not letting anyone down, Daniel. I promise."

His arms loosely wrap around me in response and we sit in silence. In my head, I resolve to make sure he always knows what I said is true.

A/N: sorry I forgot to update yesterday!