Chapter 46

By the time I get to Zack's room, my whole body is stiff. I hold my hand to the door and take a deep breath before knocking.

He opens the door with a side smile and immediately sticks his hand out for me to shake. "Nice to meet you."

I stare at his hand and awkwardly move out of the way, surveying the room. Even turned away from him, I can see his face drop.

Clearing my throat, I turn around to look him in the eyes and force the words out.

"I don't want to be together anymore."

His whole body goes still. I watch the color drain from his face, his eyes losing focus. My chest fills with pain but I keep my face clear.

"What?" he asks, his brows folding.

"I don't... want to be in a relationship anymore," I repeat.

Zack stares at me. When he talks, his voice is pained. "You're breaking up with me?"

It feels out-of-body when I answer. "Yes."

He forces out a laugh. "Is this a joke?"

"It's not a joke," I say strongly, unable to meet his eyes. "You didn't do anything wrong. I'm just too busy to be in a relationship right now."

"Are you being serious right now?" he asks. "I mean, a week ago everything was fine and now..." He blinks. "Is this because of the stars thing? It's not that serious. I'm not expecting us to get married right now or anything-"

"It's not that," I say, trying my best not to cry. "I'm just too busy."

He stares at me, as if waiting, but I don't say anything. I can't.

"I get that you're busy," he says slowly. "I'm busy too. We can work on it-"

"No," I say. "I've made up my mind. There's nothing you can say to change it."

"So that's it? You don't even wanna try?" he asks, brows furrowing. "I love you, Amelia. I get that it's hard sometimes but that's what a relationship fucking is. You work at it!"

"I can't," I breathe out. "I can't manage everything going on right now. I'm a mess and I can't give you what you deserve."

"Just stay," he says, holding my hand. "Just be here. That's all I need. I don't need you to take care of me or protect me. I just want you to be with me."

"Zack-"

"Isn't this..." He pauses before continuing, "Am I not worth it to you?"

I force my tears not to fall, biting on my lip. "I'm sorry."

He breathes, staring at me, and drops my hand. Even though he's only a foot away, it feels like a million miles. There's a long haul of silence before he speaks again.

"Stop me now," he says quietly. "Or I'm done."

My lip quivers and I can't process fast enough to stop it. Instead, I look down and pull the ring off my finger.

"I'm sorry," I repeat, holding it out to him.

His jaw is stony as he stares down at my hand. I don't miss how his eyes are glassy but I force myself not to think about it.

You're helping him in the long-run.

"Keep it," he says finally. "I don't have any use for it anymore."

He storms out, shutting the door behind him, and the tears spill out. My mouth floods with salt and guilt as I hold the ring in my hands. It falls to the floor as I lose strength in my fingers.

The pain of letting go of my family felt like a 10/10 at the time. But now, standing in his room where I no longer belong, I realize that nothing I've ever felt even compares to the pain of hurting him.

A/N: Sorry for the late update!