Chapter 35

He takes care of it. Marcus comes back and gives a begrudging apology, which Carrie graciously accepts. Everything goes back to normal besides the feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Zack is quiet as we sit in the kitchen eating cereal.

"We have to leave soon," he says, glancing at the clock.

It's college football bowl season and Zack's been on and off of flights like a madman. When he says "we," it means him and Marcus. While I wish I could travel with them, realistically it's not an option.

"Is your stuff packed?" I ask and he nods. "And everything with Marcus is okay now?"

"Yeah," he says. "I think he just needs to remember he's with our family now. Remember that things changed."

I nod slowly.

He hesitates. "After the season... I don't think I'll be able to go back to school with you guys. I'm gonna go back a week later," he says.

I try to calculate the days in my head but it's pretty obvious that means our winter break is ending now.

"What's going on after the season?" I ask.

"Coach wants me to do some traveling with him... Meet some important people. It doesn't mean anything yet but it's a good opportunity."

"Oh, stop being humble, Zachary," Marcus cuts in from the door. "It's the NFL's opportunity to start buttering him up now. If he doesn't fuck up in the next couple years, all the teams will be crawling over each other to get him."

"That's amazing," I tell Zack. "I'm so proud of you."

Instead of his typical boasting, he glances warily at Marcus, who catches it and scoffs.

"Relax, okay? My feelings aren't hurt. If anything, I'm glad I won't have to see your ugly face for an extra week," Marcus says.

Zack smirks a little. "Don't get yourself killed while I'm gone."

"I'll try my best," Marcus says sarcastically.

Zack's phone starts to ring so he leaves the room for a second. By the tone of his voice, I can tell it's his coach.

"There he goes, talking to his lover," Marcus remarks."Forget girls. Coach is your true competition."

"Does it ever end?" I say with a small smile.

"Nope! Freshman year and already talking to NFL recruiters..." Marcus says breathily, staring off. "It's hard not to hate the fucker."

He shakes his head. "It's not his fault, though. It's hard to be in the spotlight with a guy like that around," he says. "Right?"

I smile slightly. "You know you're a great player."

He shrugs. "After break, I'll be back at school with Coach up my ass about my grades," he says as Zack starts to walk back in. "I barely passed my classes last semester."

"There's this thing the rest of us do to fix that," Zack says. "It's called studying."

"Never heard of her but she sounds like a bitch," Marcus replies, pulling out a milk carton and drinking straight from it.

"You're a math major, right?" I ask. "I can try to help you study."

Marcus surveys me. "You sure?"

"Yeah," I agree immediately. "I'm not a math major but I'm pretty decent at it, and it's helpful for someone to kinda keep you on track, make sure you're staying on schedule."

"You're not too busy?" Zack asks.

"I'll make time."

"Wow," Marcus says. "Thanks, Amelia."

"You're the best," Zack says, passing by me with a kiss on the cheek. He pauses to whisper thanks in my ear before motioning for Marcus to join him to get ready to leave.