Chapter 34

The next morning is Christmas. Tommy wakes up everyone in the house at eight in the morning to run down to the tree. An array of presents sit under the tree, most of them with his name on them.

Tommy rips through the presents, getting wrapping paper everywhere and piling the gifts in a tower, shouting, "Thank you!" between each gift. The last gift is a small, neatly wrapped t-shirt.

"Who got you that?" Carrie asks, shooting Pete a small smile.

Tommy places the shirt over his chest and looks over the card. "My girlfriend," he says nonchalantly.

"You have a girlfriend?" Pete asks, shocked. "Since when?"

"Duh, I have a girlfriend," Tommy says. "She's an eighth grader. Tara Amini."

"Nice!" Marcus says, slapping his back. "Carrying on the family legacy."

Tommy rolls his eyes at Marcus then turns to me. "Sorry, Amelia. It was never gonna work. We're just in different places in life right now."

"That's very mature of you," I say as Zack mutters, "No kidding."

"What's this?" I hear Marcus speak up all of a sudden. His face is ghastly and his hands are clenched around a jacket, half unwrapped.

Carrie exchanges a look with Pete. "Your mom gave it to me to give it to you," she says carefully.

"Well, I don't want it," he says harshly. "Tell her she can fuck off for all I care. She's not my mom."

"Marcus, she just wanted to give you the jacket-"

"I don't give a shit."

"Watch your language," Pete warns. His eyes flicker to Tommy on the floor.

Marcus's eyes flash. "Tell her to stay away."

He tosses the jacket to the floor and storms out of the room, leaving us in silence. Discomfort swirls in my chest as we stay frozen, unsure of how to proceed.

Zack gets up. "I'll get him."

"Leave him," Carrie says. "He'll need some time to cool off."

"I'll handle it." Zack leaves the room.

I feel myself start to rise but Carrie stops me. "Let them go," she says, pulling Tommy up into the seat with her. "He'll take care of it."

Her voice drops a little, sad almost. "He always does."