Chapter 32

After getting about five orders wrong, I finally get the hang of the cash register. Other than a quick lunch rush, it's mostly empty around the store and I get sent home with a free burger and fries.

"Pretty fun, huh?" Marcus asks, eating his burger as we walk to the bus station. "I mean, the customers are idiots but you did pretty well."

"I messed up, like, every other order," I retort. "But, in my defense, you are the worst trainer in the history of the world."

He grins, wiping his mouth. "Whatever. It's not like they're gonna fire you."

"I mean, they haven't fired you yet," I joke. "Why do you even work here? It's not like you have a lot of free time."

"I do," he says. "I mean, practice takes a while but they rarely let me play and that's pretty much all I have. Plus..." He pulls a couple bills out of his pocket. "The pay is good."

I wrinkle my brows. "We don't get our paychecks until Friday..."

Realization dawns on me as he stuffs the money back in his pocket with a shrug. "Marcus, what the hell?"

"What?" he says. "It's, like, twenty bucks."

"So? It's still stealing," I say.

"Relax, Amelia. I'm not gonna get caught," he drawls. "Don't be such a goody two shoes."

"That's their money. Why would you even take that?"

He huffs dramatically. "Oh my god. If I knew you were gonna react like this, I wouldn't have told you. Are you gonna snitch on me?"

"Are you gonna steal again?" I respond, raising my brows. "Look, if you need money, Zack and I can try to help you out-"

"Stop it," he says. "Stop trying to take care of me like I'm a little kid."

"He's your cousin, Marcus. He cares about you. Your family's not gonna be happy if they find out."

"Then don't let them find out," he says, mimicking my tone.

I bite my lip. "Why are you doing this?"

He breathes in deeply. "You're not the only person who lost their family, Amelia."

"You have Carrie and Pete-"

He gives me a look and it's clear that the last thing he wants to do is ask them for money. Even though I don't agree with it, I understand it.

"Look, I won't tell anyone, okay?" I say. "But don't do it again or I'll have to. If you need money, we can work something out. You're my friend and I'm sure Zack..."

"Right," he interrupts with a wry smile. "So Captain Zack can swoop in and save the day."

"I won't tell him," I promise. "I can keep a secret, Marcus."

Marcus stares out at the snow as thin flakes begin to fall. He looks like he's in a snowglobe. Despite his height and stature, his curly hair makes him appear boyish. Something about him reminds me of Daniel.

"Promise me you won't do it again?" I ask softly, like I'm speaking to a child.

He breathes in. "Fine," he says. "This stays between us." It's not a question.

"I won't tell anyone."

He nods, tucking his hands into his pockets. We stand in silence until the bus arrives and don't say a word on the ride back.