Chapter 59

As Katy escapes, my fists are balled up by my sides and I stare at the ground.

Zack looks at me. "You called her a bitch."

"Yeah... "

"Why?" he asks, pressing his lips together to hide a smirk.

I purse my lips and shrug, refusing to look at him. "What do you mean?"

"Why did you call her that? Did she do something to you?"

Our eyes match and his face is innocent. Too innocent.

I clear my throat. "Don't take it the wrong way. I was simply calling her out for her objectification of you."

"Objectification?" he asks, lifting a brow.

"She said you were hers, which would imply that you are like property when, in fact, you are a human being. I'm just doing my duty as someone who believes in equality."

Zack blinks. "So you're not jealous?"

"No," I answer immediately with an odd chuckle. "If anyone's jealous, it's you."

He scoffs. "Jealous? Yeah right."

"You've been glaring at Anthony the entire trip no reason. You could at least try to be less obvious."

"He's trying to get into your pants."

"He's gay!" I exclaim.

Zack goes silent, his eyes sweeping the floor. "Well, you staring at Katy every time she gets within two feet of me isn't exactly subtle either."

I don't have a response to this. We stand in silence, leaving the conversation up for grabs.

"Amelia," he says. I turn towards him and his face is serious. "Do you still have feelings for me or not?"

I look down, trying to formulate the best reply. Of course, there's nothing in my brain except for the bitch that just wants me to jump him.

"Yes," I let out. "I didn't break up with you because I don't love you. It's just not gonna work out."

He stares at me for a long time and I watch his heart break again.

"I don't think I can be around you then," he says.

My heart shatters again. No words leave my mouth so I just nod.

Zack holds out his arms and I step into them, listening to his heartbeat. I remind myself that this is the best. I've hurt him enough.

He's the first to let go and when he walks away, he doesn't look back.