Chapter 64

We go out to meet Mia, who took Marcus to the hospital. She claims he said he won't report the fight to anyone since he's involved as well but something in me is wary about it. After all, when is anything ever easy?

I pick up some food for him as Zack drives us to the hospital to visit him. He's still angry but I need to know Marcus isn't on the brink of death.

The elevator dings and we walk through the hall to the reception desk.

"We're here to see Marcus Jackson. He's my cousin," Zack says.

The receptionist stares at him, eyes shining slightly. Her eyes stay stuck to his face.

"Are you Zack Darrington?" she asks, slightly awed.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes as he nods. Her cheeks turn pink as she starts to type.

"I'm a big fan," she says.

"Thank you."

Her brows furrow slightly then she starts typing again.

"It looks like he's been discharged already," she says.

Zack and I exchange a glance.

"He has?" I ask.

"Yes. It says he's been gone since the morning," she confirms.

"Thank you," I say as Zack turns around immediately to leave. I catch up to him and we get in his truck, rushing back to the dorms.

He presses the elevator button a million times before I put my hand over his to stop. We step in and make a beeline for their room.

When we open the door, Marcus's bed is bare, his bag is gone, and his side of the closet is empty.

Zack takes in the sight, lips parted and unmoving. Despite everything that's happened, his head starts to hang and I feel myself move to wrap my arms around him.

"He's gone."