Chapter 54

"Now look what you've gotten us into."

My eyes flash at Zack, who's staring down at me with irritation. "Me? I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was your personal GPS."

He merely scoffs. "Give me your phone."

I bite my lip. "I don't have it."

"You don't have your phone?"

"My leggings don't have pockets!" I say. "What's wrong with your phone?"

He closes his eyes. "I don't get service out here."

I can't help it. "Now look what you've gotten us into."

He gives me an unimpressed glance then starts to look around. I search around but it's too dark to recognize anything.

"Let's just keep walking," he says finally. "It's better than just standing here."

"Walk slowly," I say. "You don't wanna scare the animals."

Zack lets out what sounds like a scoff but slows his pace anyway. Pressing my lips together, I take off the jacket and tiptoe to place it on his shoulders, trying to ignore the bite of the cold.

"Just take it," I say before he can protest. "I'm fine."

He rolls his eyes. "You always say that."

We walk a couple steps forward before he hands it out to me. "I don't want it," he says. "It smells like you."

"What is that supposed to mean?!" I exclaim, offended.

"It means shut up and wear my jacket."

Glaring at him, I tighten my grip on the wine bottle as he steps in front of me and slips my arms into the sleeves. It's quiet as he zips up the front. His hand lingers at the top and his eyes flicker to mine. They're burning.

He steps away suddenly and pulls the hood over my head.

"Thanks," I say quietly, crossing my arms. "Is your lip okay?"

He inhales tiredly. "Why? You gonna kiss it and make it better?"

I roll my eyes. "Nevermind."

The ground crunches beneath my feet as I trudge forward. I'm not sure how long we've been walking but I'm starting to feel like we're just walking into a black hole. A yawn escapes my lips.

"Are you tired? We can take a break," he says.

"A little," I admit. "Let's just sit down and return in the morning. It's too dark to see anything anyway."

"That's not safe," he says. "We'll take a short break."

Too tired to argue, I feel relief flood my legs as I sit down. He stays standing up, arms crossed. I pat the area next to me.

"You can sit," I say. "I don't bite."

He scoffs slightly, stares at the spot, then sits beside me.

"Are you sure you're not cold?" I ask.

It's quiet for a while then he says, "Don't worry about me. His voice is genuine and almost tired.

For some reason, his voice makes me want to cry. Instead, I pop open the wine bottle and start to drink.

"You're drinking right now?" he says. "We're in the fucking middle of nowhere."

"It helps warm up the body," I say. "Have some."

"Your mouth was on it."

I stare at him, raising a brow. "Really?"

He sneers then grabs the bottle and takes a swig. "Ugh, it's so sweet."

My laugh comes out higher than it should. He stares down at me, eyes slightly soft.

"What?" he asks, lips holding in a smile.

I take another sip. The alcohol is still bitter to me and it makes my face cringe. "Nothing. It's just..."

Memories.

The mood turns somber. Too somber.

I paste on a smile. "It's just that I forgot you're such a lightweight," I jibe.

He shuts his mouth. His lips part slightly, eyes narrowing. Contemplating. Then he smirks at me, shakes his head, and grabs the bottle.

"Don't mess with me, Amelia," he says.

He tips ie back and takes a sip.