𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

RopeBurn

"My friends they say
I should run away
And change all my information"

Elvira

↽———⋆♥︎⋆———⇁

     "Jet? Elvira? What the hell is he blabbing about Irene?" Alexei turned his attention from Marco towards me. His eyes had grown large, eyebrows drawn close together in both confusion and anger.

     Marco shifted on his feet, his long curls falling over into his face and covering those honey eyes. The new hair length really suited him, it made him look much more attractive than he did previously. His body looked as though he had worked out more consistently, the white buttoned up shirt underneath the thick winter coat almost looked too small for him. "Come down here, please Elvira? This isn't safe." It was shocking to me how calm he had managed to remain with me. Usually things like this set him off, or aggravated him. The only time his golden orbs held anger was when his words were directed towards Alexei - who's patience seemed to be wearing deathly thin.

     That makes three of us

     It took the staircase nearly falling over before my legs began to move again. It wouldn't be long before one of them tried to come up and get me, and I couldn't guarantee the stairs wouldn't collapse underneath our weight. "Alright, Alright.. I'm coming down." My hands trembled on top of the rusted metal, slowly I made my way down the stairs. Marco's hand outstretched for me to take six steps from the bottom, perhaps after noticing the fear in my eyes. Once my feet were planted on the floor I brushed away the rust from my clothes and looked in Alexei's direction. Both boys released their hold on the loose staircase, the second they did it toppled over and knocked over a bookcase. "Now.." My throat cleared, My fingers curling into a fist. The first hit landed against Alexei's jaw, the second didn't make it due to Marco grabbing me by the waist and holding me back.

     "Ow! What the hell is your problem Irene?!" He was lucky I hadn't had the time to work out in two years, or else I would have broken his jaw. He was even more lucky that Marco was here - ironically - or else he'd not only loose a few teeth but his reproduction system as well.

     "It's Elvira."

     "What is Elvira?" He yelled, his hand against his sore jaw. I would have felt bad for him if he hadn't nearly caused my death, and if he wasn't the reason I'd be returning home to Italy tonight.

     "My name. My name is Elvira Valentina and I'm a forensic Anthropologist who is employed under the FBI. I'm not Russian, I'm not a bloody book store owner, and I'm going to murder you for letting me use a deathtrap for a staircase!" Marco's hand clamped over my mouth, though it was spacious and avoided cutting off my air supply from under my nose.

     "That's enough dear, I'm sure he gets that you're angry." His mouth pressed against my ear, the hot breath funnily enough was more calming than it was alarming. Was this what celibacy did to me?

      Alexei stood there, soaking in my words and watching our interactions. The rage boiled inside him slowly, it crept into his expressions like the taste of a bad apple. I had never seen him so angry, and I've watched him watch the Superbowl. "Elvira? Elvira?" A scoff left his lips, his hands moved onto his head. "Fuck!" With one quick movement the front desk was turned upside down, books and reports flied around, paper floating in the air before making their way down. Marco released me, only to move in front of me as a shield. "I knew there was something off about you!"

     I had felt the gun on his holster when he grabbed me earlier. He looked calm now, but how much longer would he stay this way, really? Alexei had already lost his shit, and while I knew he'd break things rather than hit me I couldn't say the same thing towards Marco. Marco ran the Mafia, Alexei was a writer.. It was easy to guess who would win. "Calmati." Marco ordered, his voice only seemed to piss Alexei off more.
(Calm down)

     Could I really blame him? I had always hated when people told me to calm down, I hated it even more when they said it to me in Italian. "You want to speak a different language? Да пошли вы! Как ты думаешь, ты можешь просто вальсировать здесь и напасть на нее? Я не могу поверить тебе, Ирэн-подожди, разве это Эльвира, верно? " Alexei screamed, slapping floating papers out of the air to get a better look at Marco. He spoke so fast that even I, fluent in Russian, couldn't keep up with what he was saying.
(Fuck you! Do you think you can just waltz in here and swoop her up? I can't believe you Irene-Wait, no it's Elvira now right?)

     "Я сказал, успокойся." This certainly shocked both me and Alexei. I remembered every language Marco spoke, yet one wasn't Russian. Had he really learned it since the last time I had seen him? I had been learning it since high school and yet I still couldn't understand him. "We should get going soon, Mateo won't take too kindly to us being so late." He looked over his shoulder at me, his facial expressions were soft. I wasn't used to the gentle tones.
(I said calm down)

     "Where do you think you're taking her, huh? She isn't going anywhere." Alexei began walking towards us. Marcos hand moved into his coat, before he could pull out the gun I moved between them both.

     "I am leaving, Alexei. Make this simple and move out of our way. Please, god just please move out of his way." His eyes lingered on Marco's before falling down to mine. "You don't know what he'll do to you, Alexei. Just get up and leave." I pushed him away by placing my hands against his chest. His hands grabbed onto my wrist, the tight grip gaining a whimper from my lips.

     "You don't get to just leave me behind Elvira. I didn't spend a year of my life on you for you to drop me the second you get the chance to." The rasp in his voice made it sound as though he was growling when he spoke.

     Marco slowly approached, panic bubbled within my stomach. "You're hurting me, Alexei. Let me go." I glanced at Marco, my eyes begged him not to make a move. I could handle this, all I needed was time.    

     "You don't just get to leave me goddammit. I refuse, this isn't how-" a gunshot rang out, between my ears ringing and the blood on my hands I couldn't tell what had happened. My eyes only caught a glimpse of the wound before a jacket was draped over my shoulder and my feet were dragged against the floor.

↽———⋆♥︎⋆———⇁
Song - Hate me / Nico Collins

Where do you read this, on your phone or computer?