twenty five

Before her senses came even nearly into full consciousness, Marigold could hear the voices

Before her senses came even nearly into full consciousness, Marigold could hear the voices. They were loud and overlapping and she wished nothing more than for them to stop.

"Look how cute they are!" The squeal was sharp and piercing.

"Elin, keep quiet, you're going to wake them."

A deeper voice jumped in, "Well, Ang, they've got to get up sooner or later. Class starts in a half hour."

Once the voices had faded enough for Marigold to ignore them, her mind came to the faint realization of how comfortable she was. How warmth floated off of her in content waves and her head lay so softly against her pillow that she almost slipped back into peaceful sleep again before the mattress shifted below her.

Every muscle in Marigold's body froze, and her mind came to a screeching halt as the memories from the previous night came rolling slowly over her. She allowed her eyes to flutter apart, squinting at the intrusion of the morning light streaming into the common room around them.

Elin, Angelina and Winslow stood staring down at them: all three wearing the largest, slyest grins Marigold had ever seen.

"Good morning, sunshine." Angelina chirped.

Marigold ignored her, instead tilting her head up to meet George's sleeping face.

Somewhere in the night, the two had shifted so that Marigold's head lay against his chest and George had his arm swung around her waist.

Failing to force down a blush, Marigold twisted in George's grip - gently lifting his arm off of her.

"Wha'gwan?" George spilt groggily, it seemed she'd woken him.

"Slept comfortably?" Winslow commented, Marigold had almost forgotten that they were standing there.

The common room was unfortunately busy, students rushing up and down with book bags and swinging cauldrons, it was almost impossible to ignore the side looks they were sending Marigold and George. 

She refused to meet George's eyes, instead turning to Elin - ignoring their stares and Winslow's comment - "What's the time?"

Elin glanced down at her wrist watch, "Eight-thirty. Class starts soon, we have Herbology."

Nodding, Marigold stood to stand. "Yeah, let me go shower. Will you fetch me something from breakfast on your way down, please? I won't have time."

Elin nodded, "I'll meet you by the greenhouse."

Once Elin had disappeared beyond the tall oak door of the Hufflepuff common room, Marigold was faced with Angelina.

"What happened to you two last night?"

Marigold looked for the first time up at George, who was rubbing sleep out of his eye with his scarred hand. She could still feel the throbbing in her own hand, she lifted it closer to her face to examine and her throat tightened again: Cedric Diggory was a reckless fool.

She sighed and tilted it up for Winslow and Angelina to see, Angelina gasped and clasped her hand against her mouth. Winslow's eyes widened in shock, before narrowing in anger.