twenty three

The week that followed was one of the most uncomfortable Marigold had ever experienced

She hadn't said more than ten words to George since the evening of Valentine's Day. 

In all fairness: Marigold had truly planned on forcing herself to forget everything that had happened, but when Monday morning arrived and, standing outside of Defense Against the Dark Arts, she noticed the dark purple bruise against George's neck (shining bright as a lighthouse) - she tucked her textbook closer to her chest and hurried past him into the classroom before he could utter a single syllable in her direction.

It had been harder to avoid George than she had imagined it would be. Not just emotionally, but physically. Their Amortentia practical had been the last for the year and Marigold arrived to their double potions lesson early on Monday and forced Diego into swapping places with her so she could sit beside Bernie. Once she explained, he'd huffed, but reluctantly agreed. Snape was so preoccupied with trying to warn them about their looming NEWT's that he didn't even notice.  

In the first few days, Marigold could tell George was still trying to get her talk to him. He'd try catch her after breakfast or between classes, but she was quick with excuses: "I'm sorry George, I'm late to Charms." After nearly five days, however, he seemed to have given up. 

Marigold was being childish and immature, and she knew it. But the way the sight of Lisa pressed up against George hurt was more painful than she would ever dare to admit and, by Merlin, she swore she would never feel that way because of a boy ever again.  

Naturally, Angelina hadn't stopped asking what had caused this change in demeanour. "You and George are so close, Goldie. Whatever it is I'm sure you can work it out?" 

Marigold shrugged her off every time, "Nothing's wrong, Ang." 

Angelina had been her best friend for almost as long as Cedric had, and everyone knew, Angelina was the impulsive one. Jump first, think later. 

Marigold wasn't hasty like Angelina and embarrassment washed over her when she thought about how she'd allowed herself sink so quickly and so deeply into her crush on George. She couldn't tell Angelina. Not then anyways, she'd tell her once it all blew over. 

After spending Valentine's together, Marigold had seen more of Zach than she had intended or expected to. He'd walked her back from Care of Magical Creatures on Thursday afternoon, and after both practices he'd stayed to help Marigold pack up the equipment.

Everything came to a blistering head just over a week later. From the moment Marigold stepped into the Great Hall that morning, she could feel it. Something was happening. 

Her gaze floated over the tables on the walk to her seat, it wasn't hard to notice the newspapers. The same copy, hundreds of them floating amongst the students. The whispers and flipping of pages were enough for Marigold to break into a brisk walk towards her seat.