two

Marigold held Spider's carrier close to her chest as the pair maneuvered the crowds down to the Hufflepuff common room

"Was it just me or did that new Defense teacher seem kind of off to you?" Marigold tilted her head back to ask Elin.

She nodded, "Her voice was really irritating."

A group of Gryffindor first years collided with Elin, almost dropping her owl cage. At the head of them, Angelina was frantically trying to round up as many as she could.

"Gryffindor first years! This way, please-- no! We are red not blue!" Her face was screwed up in agitation and she caught one scampering first year by the back of his collar.

Marigold and Elin took a moment to chuckle at their friend.

"Ang!" Marigold called. Angelina looked up, frazzled and met Marigold and Elin's amused faces.

"How's first day of being prefect?" Marigold shouted over the noise of the crowd.

She recognized Angelina's signature eye roll from across the corridor, "Piss off, Goldie!"

The Hufflepuffs laughed before waving Angelina goodnight and making their way back down to the kitchens. Outside the common room was a gaggle of Hufflepuff first years and two prefects.

"--Now if you don't do it in exactly that order, you'll be thrown with vinegar from that barrel up there. Everyone understand?" The was a hum of agreement and they started filing into the common room.

The prefect noticed Elin and Marigold, "Hey guys!" It was one of their roommates, Rose Langdon. They greeted and spoke for a few minutes before Rose was called to duty again.

Marigold held her broom close to her chest to avoid hitting anyone as they passed through the common room.

"In two days, this whole common room is going to smell like vinegar, I tell you." Elin huffed.

"You can say that again." Marigold replied, shaking her head at the frantic scamper of students around the common room.

They reached the door to their room and noticed the shiny new plaque in place of the old one: Seventh Years, it read.

They both stood in front of it, wordless, neither making a move to open the door.

"Goldie?" Elin whispered.

"Mm?" Marigold's eyes never left the golden plaque.

"Remember Ced's birthday? Last year?"

Marigold didn't reply. Of course she remembered. They held it there in the common room, it was his 17th. Little did they know it was the last birthday he would ever see.

"Remember? Diego got so drunk he charmed Ced's door plaque to spray people walking past with honey?"

Marigold managed to smile, "Yeah, I remember."