thirty

When consciousness began to creep slowly over Marigold, the first thing she noticed was the pillow

When consciousness began to creep slowly over Marigold, the first thing she noticed was the pillow. It was hard and lumpy, and definitely not her own pillow.

She was warm beneath the blanket, but it too was strange. Not the thick duvet she knew so well, instead a few woollen quilts draped over each other.

Marigold's eyes flickered only barely apart, the red hue of the Gryffindor dorm was unfamiliar and the light streamed in from the open windows on the opposite end of the room. Her hand grazed over the other side of the bed, George's side of the bed, where the space was unoccupied but still warm from where a body had lain.

The outline of the twins stood out against the morning light filling in around them.

"Roger Davies?" They were standing close and Fred's voice was hushed, "I never would've thought ..."

"Yeah, well neither did I." George's was was also almost barely audible and Marigold had to strain to hear them. "And to top it off, I don't know whether she believes I didn't kiss Lisa or not."

"Well, did you?"

The huff was loud, "Of course I didn't!"

Fred lifted his arms in surrender, "Wouldn't be the first time-"

The bed creaked beneath her as Marigold lifted herself onto her elbows and both the twins' heads snapped towards her, cutting Fred off from saying anything else.

He was the first to speak, "Well, good morning sunshine!" He closed the space between where they stood and George's bed. "Took you long enough. It's nearly two in the afternoon."

Marigold's eyes widened, only then noticing the absence of the other boys in the room. She bolted upright, "It's what?"

George laughed, "He's pulling your leg, Goldie. It's only ten."

Letting a small relieved sigh pass her lips, she brought her hand up to her pounding forehead, "Good one, Freddie. Absolutely side-splitting."

The shorter twin grinned, "I did think so."

Unintentionally, Marigold and George's eyes met and he smiled. "How'd you sleep?"

It was contagious and she allowed the ends of her mouth to upturn cheekily, "Horrible. There was this giant lump taking up most of the bed."

"That so?" His tone was playful, "Well maybe you should've slept on the floor then."

Their banter was interrupted by a knock on the door and Fred let out a long sigh, "Merlin's Beard, someone to save me from this lover's quarrel. Come in!"

Marigold blushed at "lover's quarrel", turning her gaze away from George towards the door.

It swung open and Marigold couldn't have chosen a more welcome sight when Angelina peeked her head around it's frame. She rushed over and Marigold practically dissolved into her friend's arms.