seventeen

Christmas came quickly, Marigold spent it lounging around like they did every other day - downing a less-than-healthy amount of hot chocolate and stuffing her face with food

Christmas came quickly, Marigold spent it lounging around like they did every other day - downing a less-than-healthy amount of hot chocolate and stuffing her face with food. She got gifts and letters from home, from Angelina and Winslow and Bernie.  

New Years was next and it passed with her, Diego, Elin and Zach watching the muggle fireworks in the distance from one of the telescopes in the Astronomy Tower. 

Before Marigold had a chance to finish the mountain load of homework they'd been given, the morning before term was upon them. She slept in for the last time, rising only after eleven. Dressed in the warmest sweater she could find, her and Elin met the boys at breakfast. 

"They should be here within the hour." Elin mentioned, glancing at the clock against the wall in the Great Hall. Marigold sighed, trying to enjoy the last peaceful breakfast they would have before the hall was once again flooded with hundreds of Hogwarts students when they arrived at one o' clock. 

The four of them hung around the Hall until quarter-to-one when they walked together down to Hogsmeade station. They stood on the platform waiting, Marigold enjoying the view of the castle from so low. Within five minutes, the scream of the train began to grow louder in the distance. 

The Hogwarts Express slithered like a gleaming, red snake from amidst the greenery. It took barely another two minutes for the train to pull to a screeching halt in front of them, drowning the platform in the white smoke billowing from it's chimney.

Behind the layer of smog, the train doors slid open and students began flooding the platform around them. Chatter filled the air, the sounds of bags being pulled and owls hooting came from all directions. 

"Guys," Zach had to almost shout for them to hear him, "I'm gonna go find Troy." 

Diego patted him on the shoulder and soon Zach's retreating figure disappeared into the crowd. 

Through the haze of smoke, Marigold spotted the back of Angelina's head. She pointed her out to Elin and Diego. Manoeuvring through the swell of students, the three of them managed to catch up with Angelina, Winslow and Bernie before they left the platform. Diego tackled Angelina into a hug and she nearly dropped her owl cage, Marigold wrapped her arms around Winslow and Elin took Bernie by the arm. 

"Diego, get off me!" Angelina laughed, shoving Diego playfully. 

"We missed you guys." Marigold chimed, her arms tightening in a hug around Winslow's slim waist. Winslow ruffled the top of her head, smiling. 

Across the platform, behind the thick curtain of smoke, George and Fred had just found Lee. Fred was updating Lee on what work they'd managed to do on Weasley's Wizard Wheezes over the holidays, but George was using what advantage his height offered to try locate Marigold on the platform. 

"Bloody hell, Georgie, can you not wait five minutes for us to get up to the castle before you're chasing Marigold's tail?" 

George punched his brother in the shoulder, drawing his attention back to their conversation.