thirteen

Angelina followed Marigold back around the corner reluctantly

Angelina followed Marigold back around the corner reluctantly. The boys waited quietly, Fred's eyes following Angelina, the same way George's were watching Marigold - his stomach giving a lurch.

"Evening, gents." Marigold greeted them, keeping a wary side eye on Angelina's expression.

Fred smiled at Marigold, "Hey, Goldie," He looked pointedly at Angelina but she avoided his gaze. "Hey, Ang."

She said nothing. 

George smiled down at Marigold and she struggled to push down the blush that threatened to cover her cheeks. "Hey, Knight." He greeted, calmly.

Pulling her gaze from where it was trapped in his eyes, Marigold noticed that they didn't have the brooms she asked them to bring. She frowned, "Where's your broomsticks?"

"Well ..." Fred and George exchanged looks, "Filch caught us trying to steal them out the broom shed by the pitch. We've got detention for two weeks when term starts again."

"I thought you two were supposed to be good at that kind of stuff!"

"We are! Usually ..." Fred defended, "What do we need them for anyways?"

Angelina spoke up for the first time, her arms still crossed against her chest. "That's what I've been wondering."

Marigold huffed, "It's fine. You can use mine." She thrust her broom into Fred's hands, suddenly grinning proudly. "We're going to use the very thing that started this argument to finish it. Quidditch."

It was George's turn to frown in confusion, "What?"

"Well, we were supposed to all do it together, but some people couldn't complete the simple task of finding a pair of broomsticks," She looked pointedly at George and Fred, "So, we'll have to go in pairs. Fred and Angelina first."

"I'm not doing anything with him." Angelina protested.

Marigold shrugged her off, "Yes, you are. You're going to get on the broom, both of you, and race down this corridor to the entrance of the hospital wing and back."

"Wicked!" Identical looks of delight covered both the twins' faces, but Angelina seemed less keen.

"If Fred wins," Marigold continued, "You have to hear them out, but if you win, you can go back to your room and we won't bother you again." 

Angelina shook her head, "If Umbridge catches us, Goldie, we'll both lose captainship. That's if she doesn't expel us."

"Come on Ang, term ends in two days. Live on the edge a little." Marigold replied, struggling to hold back a grin as Angelina rolled her eyes.

For a long moment, Angelina stood glaring at her and a tense silence fell around them. After almost a full minute, Angelina climbed grumpily onto her broom, looking at Fred directly for the first time that evening. "Fine, but remember: there's a reason I'm captain and you're not. You're going to lose."