seven

Monday morning came sooner than Marigold expected and she blinked blearily at Spider who lay still sleeping on the windowsill by her bed, the early morning sun washing over him

The hot water of the shower massaged her shoulders and Marigold ran through her timetable in her head, outwardly groaning at the thought of having Umbridge in her first lesson. 

Her mind wandered back to the meeting at the Hogs Head that weekend. She had to face Zach that day at Quidditch practice, the thought made her wince. At breakfast, chatter about the weekend filled the air between them. 

"Apparently the first meeting's gonna be on Thursday." Angelina said lowly. 

Marigold barely took notice of what she said. She was rushing to finish the Transfiguration homework she'd left to the last minute, trying to write out the last sentences of her essay about Why Conjuration Spells Are Imperative to Life in the Modern Wizarding World while occasionally taking a bite of toast that Winslow had generously buttered for her.

She managed to write out her finishing argument and eat another piece of toast before the giant clock in the Great Hall struck ten to nine.

 "Come kids," Bernie stood, "Time to face the dragon." 

"More like the Grindylow." Marigold mumbled. She walked a few paces down the table, patting Fred on the shoulder, "Let's go boys. It's Defense now."

They gave a collective groan and the three Gryffindors climbed up from the bench, George rounded the table to walk by Marigold. 

"You know if I were you, I would kick that annoying prick off your team." George commented as they cleared the doors of the Great Hall. 

Marigold chuckled, "He's not usually so irritating, I'm sure he has some excuse for how he acted. Plus, I can't kick a player off just for being a prick."

George huffed, "But you can kick him off for being a rubbish Chaser. I bet I could play better."

They turned into the next corridor, Marigold swerved to avoid a group of third years, "Sorry Weasley, tryouts were weeks ago." She laughed, "You missed your chance."

Marigold yelped as George grabbed her by the arm and pushed her against the wall of the corridor. He had his hands placed flat against the stone on either side of her head, grinning naughtily. 

"George, what are you doing?" She tried to push him away, "We have class." Marigold blushed as the students walking past stared.

"When's your next practice?" He asked smoothly, "I could come watch to make sure that prat doesn't give you any more problems."

"I told you, George, it's fine. I can handle my own teammates."

George considered her for a moment, "Well, can I at least come watch a practice?"