twenty two

Tea splashed over the side of the teacup from the force with which George slammed it back onto the saucer

Tea splashed over the side of the teacup from the force with which George slammed it back onto the saucer. "I'm not fucking going anywhere."

"Come on, mate." Fred whined across from him, "I promised Ang I'd take her to Madam Puddifoot's. She'll have my arse if I bail on her."

"Go then." George glared angrily into the depths of his tea. The Hall was almost completely empty. It was lunchtime, but most of the Hogwarts students base could be found enjoying their Valentine's afternoon down in Hogsmeade. "I'm not going with you."

Fred was quiet for a long moment, George ignored him. His whole head felt hot, like his brain had turned into a smoking furnace. He couldn't even taste the tea, he'd scorched his tongue on the first sip but continued until he'd reached his fourth cup.

"Georgie," Fred spoke, softer. "I've got an idea ..."

George glanced up to meet his eyes, willing him to continue.

"I don't think you're gonna like it--"

George sighed exasperated, the day was already too full of things he didn't like. "For fuck's sake, Fred--"  

"But hear me out! Okay?"

Fiddling with the teacup in his hands, George resigned to another sigh. "Right. What is it?"

Fred was quiet, he tilted his head: motioning to something behind George who twisted in his seat to face the Ravenclaw table.

The trio of girls were huddled together near the end of the table, giggling, and George instantly recognised the curly-haired blonde - her head tossed back in laughter.

He understood immediately what Fred was insinuating. His head whipped back to his twin, "Are you pulling my leg, mate? I'm not asking Lisa Daniels!" He turned away from them, "I already dug myself a deep enough hole the first time I involved her."

"Listen," Fred leaned closer over the table. "I heard Roger Davies asked her a couple days ago and she said no because he used to date one of her friends or something stupid like that. She doesn't have a valentine."

"I don't want to be her valentine!"

"You don't have to!" Fred threw his arms up in exasperation, "You just ask her, we go down to that stupid coffee shop in Hogsmeade where all the couples are - Marigold and Zach are definitely gonna be there -"

George huffed irritably.

"- you walk in with Lisa Daniels and it gives you an excuse to be there. Let's you keep an eye on them. Make sure she doesn't fall madly in love with the twat."

George considered his brother for a moment. He didn't know whether it was the jealousy causing his brain to short circuit, but Fred's plan did make some semblance of sense.