twenty nine

She emerged in the same third year dorm as last time, each bed occupied by sleeping fourteen year old boys and soft snores filling the room

Hearing the door of the portal click closed behind them, Marigold and George slunk silently across the room and out into the corridor leading to the common area.

The common room was pure chaos, packed with Gryffindor students she recognised from the party, they too having just escaped the clutches of Umbridge.

Noise erupted when George stepped into view:

"George, what's happening?"

"George, I left my jacket!"

"What's going to happen if she finds out we were there?"

They crowded around him in search of solace and a barely visible flicker of panic crossed his features. Marigold wasn't entirely sure what prompted her to do it, but she took his hand into hers again and George met her eyes for a split second before turning back to the other students.

"Oy, oy!" The chatter of the surrounding students died down, blatant anxiety visible in their eyes. They listened closely. "Everyone needs to get back to their rooms and go to bed. Umbridge is gonna come around here looking for anyone who was at the party. Just go to bed."

The group scattered in every direction, hurrying as if Umbridge was seconds from bursting through the door - and at that rate, she just might've been.

George and Marigold took off with them, passing the couches and slipping behind the thick brick wall separating the boys dormitories from the common room. Marigold had been back there only a few times, most of them when she had to carry Diego's drunken body to bed, and she took quick notice of the shining gold plague against the door they pushed through: Seventh Years.

On the other side, the room was dimly lit and five poster beds took up the space. Near the window, Fred was pacing up and down - thrusting his hand through his hair.

"There you fuckers are!" He crossed the dorm room in less than three strides, pulling both her and George into his chest for a hug. She felt him sigh against them. "For fuck's sake, I thought she caught ahold of you two."

He pulled off of them, Marigold only then noticed the other three boys in the room. The one she recognised as Lee, the other two faces were unfamiliar but Marigold placed them as their other roommates that the twins had mentioned at one point or another: Finn and Eddie.

Fred's line of vision followed George's arm down to where she and him were connected by their hands. He managed a small grin and the wink he sent to his brother didn't go amiss on Marigold.

George ignored his gestures, "We're fine, Freddie. We figured it out. Did you set off the enchantment on the tables?"

"Yeah of course, I'm not a dipshit." Fred nodded, letting his hand fall from Marigold's shoulder. "And I've blanked all the invites."