eight

After getting word to the team of their reinstatement, the Hufflepuff Quidditch team were back on practice schedule for the upcoming season

After getting word to the team of their reinstatement, the Hufflepuff Quidditch team were back on practice schedule for the upcoming season. It was late Wednesday afternoon and Marigold had just finished a double Herbology lesson with Elin and Winslow. Despite usually enjoying it, Marigold found Herbology that day painful. Sprout gave them a quiz that she didn't know a single answer to, and the Sneezewort plant she'd been tending had spit purple goo all down the front of her robes.

Her, Elin and Winslow walked back up to the castle together, Marigold rubbing her eyes in exhaustion. She wanted nothing more than to head straight to her dorm room and take a long nap before supper, but Quidditch practice was starting in less than an hour. 

"Are you coming to grab something to eat with us before practice, Goldie?" Winslow asked.

Marigold rubbed her eye, sighing, "No, I can't ... my practice robes are all the way in the room and I have to fetch some quaffles from the Quidditch office."

"You know what I told you, Goldie," Elin shook her head, "Not eating regularly enough can slow down your metabolism and even increase your risk of developing diabetes."

Marigold chuckled, "I'm sure I'll be okay this once, El."

When they reached the castle, Marigold parted with her friends and headed in the direction of the Hufflepuff common room. Shutting the door behind her, she sighed. Marigold pulled off her student robes, taking a moment to examine the large purple stain on the front. 

Sprout had suggested a brand of detergent she could buy in Hogsmeade that would clear it up. Marigold sighed and tossed the garment aside, she would have to figure that out later. Her Quidditch uniform had been laid out neatly on the bed from that morning and Marigold pulled it on, suppressing another yawn. Spider watched her from his spot at the end of the bed, eyes flickering as they followed her movements. 

Marigold pulled the large trunk out from underneath her bed and threw it open in search of a clean pair of socks. In the midst of her foraging, the sharp corner of a black picture frame caught the skin on the top of Marigold's hand and she pulled it back, seething. A dribble of blood ran down her palm, she examined it for only a moment before reaching back into the trunk with her other hand and pulling the picture out from underneath the mess of clothing. 

In the frame was the photo of Marigold and her friends at the Yule Ball. 

They were standing outside by the fountains, she remembered how Angelina insisted they took the photo before the night was over. The faces in the frame were laughing up at her, Diego had his arm around Elin who was wearing a long lilac dress that shimmered even in the darkness. Marigold and Angelina were sitting on the bench, arms looped together, Marigold's head on Angelina's shoulder and their heels discarded beside them. Winslow was hugging Bernie. In the middle of the photo, between Marigold and Diego, was Cedric. His picture was moving between adjusting the collar of his dress robes and grinning widely.