six

Since the night of what the group had come to call, the "centaur situation", it seemed Umbridge had become more intolerable than before

In the next lesson they had after that night, she'd eyed George and Marigold in such a way that Marigold was sure she knew it was them. If she did, though, she didn't say anything.

Umbridge had taken to patrolling the corridors during her free periods and was producing a rapid stream of what she called Educational Decrees. Umbridge's high inquisitor position allowed her to ban anything she felt like, the list ranging from forbidding teachers from giving students any information that is not strictly related to the subjects they are paid to teach, proper decorum and dress or even not allowing music to be played.

Diego had shown them the scars from his week of detention, "She's got this quill," He said, "It uses your blood as ink and scratches your words into your skin as you write." He had a scar that read "I will not question the Ministry" for almost three weeks before it started to fade.

In class, Umbridge had them learning the history of defense spells they'd been taught in first year. "Expelliarmus has been used by witches and wizards for centuries as one of the...", Marigold cupped a hand over her mouth to stifle a yawn.

"Expelliarmus?" Angelina whispered to her when Umbridge's back was turned, "This is junior stuff! You know this is Fudge trying to cover up what happened to Cedric."

Marigold agreed.

One of the more painful aspects of Cedric's death was the cover-up. Minister Fudge had previously spoken up, labelling Cedric's death as an "accident".

After weeks of wrestling with her thoughts, Marigold came to the conclusion that she believed Harry Potter. She found small solace in believing Harry's story over the smoke and mirrors display the Ministry was printing in The Daily Prophet. 

That day at lunch, Angelina came in late from class to join the group at the table. She looked uncharacteristically nervous, she ate quietly and just as everybody was getting up to head back to class, she pulled them aside: "Meet me in my dorm room after your last lesson, alright?"

Bernie eyed her suspiciously, "Why?"

Angelina shook her head, "We'll talk later."

Angelina's odd behavior was at the forefront of Marigold's mind throughout her afternoon Herbology lesson, she was so distracted that Sprout's Tentacular plant managed to take a bite of her index finger when she wasn't looking.  

"What do you think Ang wants to tell us?" Winslow mused while he helped wrap Marigold's finger, "She was talking as if she'd just stolen Ministry secrets."

"I hope it has nothing to do with the Pixie Dust--ow!" Marigold seethed as Winslow applied pressure.

"It still amazes me how you managed to escape Umbridge, makes you wonder how many secret tunnels Hogwarts really has."