twelve

Finding Angelina wasn't easy

Finding Angelina wasn't easy. After Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins, Marigold ran circles around the castle trying to find her. She wasn't in her common room or the library, and even though Diego swore left and right that he saw her there, she wasn't at the Quidditch pitch either.

Eventually, Marigold decided to wait out until dinner and within minutes of sitting down at the Gryffindor table, Angelina walked in, taking the seat beside her.

"Where've you been?" Marigold huffed, exasperated, "I've been looking for you all afternoon!"

Angelina shrugged, dishing some beans, "I was at McGonagall's for an extra lesson, sheesh. What was so urgent anyways?"

"Well," Marigold leaned closer so only Angelina could hear her, "Meet me tonight by the stairs to the astronomy tower at midnight. You'll need to bring your broom."

Pausing mid-chew, Angelina looked at Marigold bewildered. "What? Why?"

Biting into a piece of chicken, Marigold shook her head. "Just because. It'll be fun, just you and me."

Despite Marigold's answer, Angelina was eyeing her with caution, "This plan has the twins written all over it. George got to you didn't he?"

Rolling her eyes, Marigold set her fork down, "This has nothing to do with the twins, Ang."

Angelina shook her head, "Come on, you're putty in George's hands. I don't have a hard time believing that he could convince you into something like this."

Marigold shook her head, avoiding eye contact with Angelina as her face reddened. "Damn, Ang. Give me a little credit at least."

"So you're telling me you two haven't spoken since the match?"

Guilt raged in her chest, Marigold didn't like lying, but she knew her friend: Angelina was notoriously good at holding grudges and Marigold had let the situation carry on long enough. If she didn't intervene soon, there was no telling how long it would take for Angelina to forgive the twins. 

She swallowed hard, "No, I haven't. Stop being so suspicious, it's just an end of term thing, okay?"

Pursing her lips, and although not totally satisfied, Angelina sighed. "Fine, I'll be there. Midnight, you said?"

From behind her goblet of pumpkin juice, Marigold nodded. She desperately hoped that the plan wouldn't blow up in her face.

Dinner ended without further event but as Marigold stood to leave, from across the table, George caught her eye and winked. She felt her face grow hot and the contents in her stomach began to bubble, she glanced to make sure Angelina hadn't noticed.

"Anyone up for a game of Wizard's Chess?" Diego asked as the group cleared the exit of the Great Hall. There was a murmur of agreement but Marigold barely heard them, her head was buzzing with other thoughts.