Chapter Seventeen

Cassandra's POV

"Morning." I breathed, feeling Brooke shifting around finally.

I placed the clip board on the little ledge next to the bed and looked down at her, she was snuggling closer to my legs. She yawned and said, "Morning."

"You okay?" I asked, bending at the waist so I was above her.

"Yeah, why?" She asked groggily.

"You tossed and turned all night, you're lucky I didn't let you fall off the bed after the third time you woke me up." I said, trying at a teasing tone to hide my worry.

"Oh sorry." She said, laying her head back down.

I smoothed her hair back out of her face and said, "You can't fall back asleep."

"Why not?" She asked, yawning again.

"Because today is Dad's surprise for you, I made him push it back because I had already called dibs on your actual birthday." I told her.

"What?" She asked, sitting up slowly.

"I celebrate your birthday on your birthday. Dad celebrates your birthday the day after. Today is the day after." I explained slowly.

"Shit, so now I have to deal with Tony's surprise?" She asked.

"Yup, and you may want to get dressed." I told her.

"Aw man! That means we have to go outside." She whined as she jumped from the bed instead of using the latter.

"Yeah, and just so you know it's almost noon!" I shouted after her while she closed the closet door behind her.

"What!? You let me sleep till Freakin noon!?" I swear she sounded like she had shrieked.

I grabbed the ledge and used it to lower myself towards the ground before I let myself fall. Brooke came out of the closet in skinny jeans, a black and white Skillet T-shirt and purple socks. I gently grabbed her arms to stop her before she could whip into the bathroom. "Relax, we don't have to leave until one and Steve made pancakes this morning."

"Wait, so you were up?" She asked.

"Yeah, I've been up since nine." At her confused look I explained while she brushed her teeth. "Nadia quietly let me know about the pancakes at nine thirty so I went and got some and talked to Steve for a little while before I came back. I made sure you were good before getting dressed and grabbing a few old case files from before I was kidnapped. I've been doing paperwork since then waiting for you to wake up."

"Oh." She rinsed her mouth out quickly and asked, "Any clue what the surprise is?"

"Well yeah, I had to pack for it." I told her. She looked towards me with a small smirk and I said sternly, "I'm not telling you. If you try to make me I'll wait for you with Dad."

"Fine." She sighed, going into the little toilet room.

I quickly fixed my hair, just using a little hairspray to take care of the little flyaway hairs. I ran my hand through my hair to make sure the hairspray wouldn't make my hair harden. I had just leaned back up against the counter when Brooke came out, washing her hands. She glanced at me and smiled slightly, "Don't pretend you haven't moved."

I smiled and slouched before turning toward the mirror, combing through my hair again. I told her, "I wasn't pretending."

"Okay, that's why I can smell hairspray." She said, searching through the middle cabinets.

"What're you looking for?"

"My make up." I moved over to her side and got into the top drawer and got her new bag out, setting it on the counter. She said, "Thanks, I would've thought it'd be in the center."