Chapter Fourteen

Cassandra's POV

"What made him crash?" Was the first thing out of my mouth, making Gwen look at me weird.

"Um, two of the wounds on his vital organs had started opening up, but we've fixed them." She said, obviously she hadn't expected to have to answer that question so soon, she didn't have a whole doctorate worthy spiel prepared.

I nodded and asked, "So he's stable now right? He's not going to crash again unexpectedly?"

Gwen seemed down right confused now, "No he wont, he's been transported to a regular hospital room that he'll recover in."

"And who will his nurse be there?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Paige has insisted that she-

I interrupted, "No. Paige doesn't tell us everything because we are 'children', as she's pointed out on many occasions. Until recently we didn't notice that she barely even spoke to us. So no, Tony will have a different nurse starting now."

"I'll get Shelby to." She told me.

"Now can we please see Tony?" Brooke asked, almost making me jump since I forgot she was there.

"Right this way, and I won't limit the number of people, but please don't get him riled up." She said as she turned to start walking.

I heard everyone get up and follow along behind us. I said, mostly to myself, "I don't think it's sunk in just yet that he's awake."

Brooke said with a small laugh, "I know it hasn't. You're complacent walking."

"Here we are, please remember that he's fresh out of surgery." She said pointedly before walking towards the desk, hopefully getting Tony a new nurse.

I faced the door and let out a breath, "God it feels like somethings going to jump out at me." I heard Steve and Bruce laugh, but on one else even tried, they all knew I was just nervous. I squared my shoulders and held my hand out to Brooke, "Come on, let's go."

She took my hand and I opened the door, taking a step inside. I heard the door close behind me, but I was rooted to my spot. Tony was okay, he was sitting up in his hospital bed fidgeting with the little needle in his hand and the small oxygen tube just under his nose. At the sound of the door though he looked over and smiled.

Brooke walked over and hopped up to sit next to him on his bed, "You gave us one Hell of a scare Tony."

He smiled slightly and said, "I assure you, I didn't intend to. Should I know you?"

"No, probably not. I'm Brooke Swartz, Cassie's best friend. I've been staying here with her, and you I guess." She said, holding her hand out to him.

He shook her hand and said, "Thanks for keeping an eye on her."

"I had a little help, Bruce and Steve are both pretty persuasive." She said smiling.

Tony asked, "So how long do you think it'll take for her to snap out of it?"

"Um, I probably should help her actually." Brooke muttered sliding off the bed.

"That bad?" He asked, his voice quieter.

"Yeah, but I'll let her tell you about our stay." She said, walking over to me. She pulled me into a hug and said, "Come on, he's okay."

I pulled away from her and forced the information into my head. I slowly walked over to his bed and hopped up like Brooke had, "Um, hi."

Tony looked at me for a few seconds with a scrutinizing gaze, one that usually pulled that stupid little girl out of me. He finally smiled and opened up his arms, "You don't have to be anywhere near strong anymore, I gotcha."