Chapter One

Hey, so taking a look at these beginning chapters, I've realized that I actually did a pretty damn good job starting this story out, but fucked it up later. So these chapters are practically the same as the first time around, just a little tweaking.

Yes, I did take out the StarkXBanner.

Also Cass will not be a self-hating ball of blackness.

Cassandra's POV

"Is this your daily driver now?" I asked, looking around at the familiar interior of the Camaro we had bought nearly seven years ago.

"It's the last car we bought together." Dad stated, his hands tightening on the wheel.

I glanced at Steve who was on my right, "Are you okay? You seem to be shutting down."

"I'm not shutting down." Steve snapped. His eyes softened when he saw my slightly hurt look, I was just trying to make sure he was okay. He said quietly, "I'm just in shock and I need answers."

"Understandable." I said, unhooking my belt.

"What are you-"

He cut off when I threw myself into his lap, still tucking into him easily even though I had grown, "I missed you so much. I missed you all so freakin much."

"Language."

"Seriously?" I asked, now looking up at him.

He wrapped his arms around me and shifted us so I was cradled against his chest, "Sorry, it slipped out."

After a few seconds I said hesitantly, "Bruce?"

"Yeah Cass?"

"I love you." I said, reaching forward and squeezing his shoulder.

He turned in his seat to look back at me, "I love you too kid."

I smiled and said, "You're grey streaks gotten thicker."

"And your hair's white, I think you've got me beat." He stated.

"But that's not stress, it's been like this since I woke up." I told him, running a hand through my hair.

"Woke up?" Bruce asked.

"I'll explain at the house."

I looked at Dad worriedly, he hadn't spoken to me yet, only stated a fact. I opened my mouth to question him, or just say something to him, but my voice died in my throat. I looked at him sadly and looked back at Bruce, who only shook his head slightly and turned back around.

I tucked myself back against Steve's chest and said, "You know, I've learned some new gymnastics moves, Russians are surprisingly flexible."

"So that's where you've been the last six years?" Dad asked, his voice monotone.

"No, but I want to explain to everyone at once." I told him, my voice dripped with shame, making Steve instantly tighten his grasp around me comfortingly.

———

"So." I stated awkwardly, everyone was currently staring at me.

"Will you just start explaining?" Dad barked.

My eyes narrowed slightly, but I blew out a breath and said, "Fine, but you should know first of all that Brooke is alive as well."

The silence hung in the air like a dead weight. Steve rubbed his hands over his face and said, "Does anyone really die in this business?"

"Where is Swartz?" Fury demanded, this was news even to him.

"I can't tell you that."

"And why not?" Clint asked, standing from his seat.

"Because if I did Fury would have to brand Brooke a traitor, this will be our personal mission, SHIELD will not be involved at all." I said crossing my arms. "I know where she is and what she's been doing, but I can't tell you, just know that it's not voluntary."

"What does that mean?" Natasha asked, her interest obviously peaked. Her daughter was on her lap with headphones in, a bright red MP3 player in her little hands.

"Now, as for where I've been. Well, this is the hard part." I sighed and let my weight fall to one side, my arms still crossed. "Russia changed me and Fury knew it, but apparently he didn't tell any of you. I was in a really dark place and I had done things that I still can't rationalize even today. I had killed so many people, destroyed so many lives, it got to me to say the least. I got to the point where I didn't care what happened to me, I was practically starving myself. On my last night in Russia, I was suicidal. I knew Vlad was sending a new assassin to see if they could kill me, he always wanted to make sure he had the best, and I went anyway because I wanted to see if this one would kill me."

Silence. Heavy silence.

I continued on, "A woman found me bleeding to death and Harley's body lifeless, she was the new assassin. She took me in anyway, saved my life, patched me up and said get out. I took her advice and left before night fell."

"Where, where have you been then?" Bruce asked.

I smiled slightly and said, "This is where I took a page from your book. I went to New Zealand and paid a fortune for a house in the middle of nowhere, beautiful waterfall within walking distance. Not that I even found the damn thing before Brooke showed it to me."

"Brooke's with you? I thought you said-"

"Not here and not now. I can't explain anything." I interrupted sternly.

"So, what did you do all that time? Five years or so is a really long time." Clint stated.

"I recovered. Realized that there was nothing I could do about Russia. Forgave myself for my mistakes and remembered it was necessary for national security. After I got over that, there was still a lot of healing I needed to do. My parents deaths, almost being killed multiple times and thinking I was unworthy of anyone else's love because I never loved anyone. And I'm talking about romantic love, I always loved you Dad."

"Then Brooke came by, I can't explain much, but she helped me so much. It was like coming back to life again and I'm not even being dramatic. She completely brought life back to me, helped me remember who I am, why I'm an agent and why my life has meaning. Without her, I'm pretty sure I'd still be in New Zealand."

"Then once she started coming by more often, I couldn't just leave to come home. There was no way he would let her get anywhere near New York, so I staid. I made a lab in the basement and did some really cool shit while I waited on her to come by." I finished.

"What kinds of things?"

"Well, first of all I tested my own blood since I had no access to you or Shelby and Christopher, and found out that I actually got regeneration from my mom. So I'll be stuck as eighteen for years and years, I'll age terrifyingly slow. Plus apparently my dad had this power that cancels out pain, it's very exhausting to use for a long period of time though and you definitely feel the pain later."

"Oh and I started building things too." I added as an after thought.

"Wait wait wait, where is Brooke now? Why did you come home now?" Natasha asked.

"Because she needs help, and we're the only ones who can save her."