Chapter Nine

Cassandra's POV

I'm so confused. How did I get here again?

I looked around at the grey walls, bustling people and empty chairs around me. Yet I heard no sound. I looked at the TV hanging from the corner of the room, playing some news stantion. Yet I heard no words. I look down at my hands, seeing them tainted red. Yet I don't remember why.

Suddenly I see a flash, a man laying in a pool of blood. Yet I don't know who this man is. I can see a young girl, a light blue forcefeild stretched around her and the man. Yet I don't recognize her. She's staring at yet another man I don't know, with such hatred and malice I wonder what he's done. He stands past six foot tall, longer black hair sleeked back, wearing weird green clothing and his eyes are a dull hardened green.

As I stare at the scene in my minds eye, names come back to me slowly. The man in green, his name is Loki. Yet I'm not sure of the importance of his name, even as it sends a small chill down my spine. This girl, that's me, Cassandra Nicole Stark. The man stained with red remains a mystery for some time though, almost as if my mind is not willing to recall his name.

And then suddenly it's like a fog has been lifted. The noise of the hustling and bustling hospital assault my ears as my mind is assaulted with a full recollection of exactly what happened only twenty minutes ago.

"Daddy!" I cried in panic, kneeling next to him uselessly. I heard Nadia's voice in my ear, "I have contacted the police, help is on the way."

"You mortals never cease to disappoint me." I heard a voice sigh. I threw my forcefeild up out of reflex and then carefully stretched it to go around Tony as well. "Mortals run, hide and panic, it's their nature. Yet I thought you might be different, being one so young, but you're just like the rest of them."

"Loki." I hissed, feeling my eyes flash dangerously. I put pressure on Tony's wound as I waited for someone to arrive and help. I asked, "Am I running? Am I hiding or panicking? No, I sit beside my dad calmly waiting for paramedics to arrive. And if I did not have to keep pressure on his wound I would already be attacking you."

His eyes flashed dangerously, "You talk back as though you mean something." He seemed to steady himself before continuing with the previous discussion, "True, but your first instinct was panic. I suppose you may be better than some, you stayed instead of running. Yet you hide behind a forcefeild."

"I do not hide!" I snapped, my patience with the man that just shot my dad was nonexistence in the first place, so I know for a fact I now have none left. "Why are you still here? You shot Tony and you can't get to me, so why stay?"

Loki looked amused, making me wish I could wipe his face right off his skull. "I didn't shoot Stark, the sniper on top of the building who is currently making a blatant escape did. I merely saw your reaction and.... reacted."

My snipish attitude towards him lifted for a second, before what happened in New York crossed my mind. I asked with a small smirk, "Shouldn't you be in an Asgardian dungeon somewhere left to rot?"

Loki's own smirk disappeared, being replaced by what looked like blind rage. He started turning blue but turned away and composed himself. When he face me again he was back to normal, "I apologize for the short lapse in control, but your offhanded comment provoked me. To answer to your pointless inquiry, yes I should be. Yet here I am."

I heard sirens approaching quickly, making me let out a small sigh of relief. Loki looked annoyed at the sound and said, "I believe that is my cue to leave Cassandra, until next time."

Then he just disappeared into a green smoke. Knowing his tricks from Thor I kept my forcefeild up until the paramedics had to take Tony away from me.