Chapter Twenty-Two

Cassandra's POV

I grumbled to myself, walking into my new apartment, "Ugh I just want to go home."

I set about making a light breakfast before I head out for another contract, I haven't even been to sleep yet. I made some eggs and toast, sitting in a chair facing the wall that was just glass. I had rented this place out for two months using a new alias, I figured since I had made quite a bit of money since being in Russia I could splurge a little.

I had gotten the top apartment of a very nice building located in the better upscale part of Russia, closer to the government buildings and big corporations. I haven't been contacted by this Vlad guy yet, but hopefully it'll come soon. I mean it's already been nearly four months, I've been doing corporate contracts for almost five weeks now.

I sighed and scarfed down my food, chasing it with a small glass of water. I quickly ran to my room and restocked my magazines, switching out my knifes for a pair of daggers. I was attacking one of the most notorious stock brokerage firms, I was supposed to kill everyone inside.

I went into my bedroom and got my earpiece off the nightstand. I had brought Nadia with me, against orders of course. I had completely cut her off from Stark tower so she wouldn't be traced back to there. Not only that, I had put her on her own network, so that way she couldn't be traced period. I still wanted to use her as little as possible though.

"Hey Nadia, how long would it take you to hack into Pavlov's corporate servers?" I asked, going into my closet. I pulled out the weapons case inside and pried it open.

"Approximately seven minutes."

I already had my usual five guns, along with my two daggers. Looking down at the case though, I couldn't help but pull out my collapsible bow. I hooked the twelve arrow quiver to my hip just bellow my gun, but above the gun on my thigh, and picked up a nice red petticoat I had bought my first day in Russia, everyone wore them so I wouldn't stick out. Besides, it was big enough to hide all my weapons.

I lifted my shirt and tightened the straps on my bulletproof vest, a gift from Fury before I left. I almost always have it on now, even if I'm just going out to eat. I was sickly thin so it's not like it made me bulky, it just made me look like I had some kind of meat on me.

I quickly pulled the petticoat on and grabbed my mask from the coat rack by the door. I stuffed it into my pocket as I rode the elevator down to the main floor. As I neared the ground level I said, "Nadia, start hacking."

"Hacking in progress."

I stepped out of the elevator and walked out, feeling my hair swishing from side to side as I walked since it was in a high ponytail. I took a right and started strolling leisurely, the building was only about a block away.

I stuck my hands in my pockets and gently felt the mask I had had made when I started doing higher paying corporate jobs, my first employer demanded it. It was black with white swirls and a zipper over the mouth, the two straps that kept it in place were just buttons. Honestly I didn't worry about how easy my mask was to rip off, no one would get that close to me anyway.

I leaned against third building down from the Pavlov, that way the camera on the front of the Pavlov building so the cameras wouldn't see my face, pretending to be playing on my phone. Thankfully it wasn't long before I heard, "Hack complete, what would you like me to do?"

"Shut off all the cameras, any alarms and the main floor entrance lights." I ordered, moving to stand by the corner of the building closest to the Pavlov building, the one that was shrouded in darkness. I pulled my mask from my pocket and put it on quickly, feeling the cool material against my face.

"Anything else?" Nadia asked.

"No, now it's my turn." I said, unbuttoning the coat but leaving it on. I tilted my chin down and started the short wall to the building. One person bumped into my roughly, but I kept my temper in check and kept walking. I couldn't kill a civilian while my window of opportunity closed, the backup generator would come back on in a half hour. I didn't really want to have to get a new mask, but if I wasn't out in thirty minutes I'd have to.

I stepped into the building, no alarms for the metal on me went off and it was dark until after the check in counter. I stripped the petticoat from my shoulders and took my two guns from my thighs, slamming the butts of the gun against each other so I knew the magazine was in place.

I started forwards, my guns raised to shoot the second I saw something move. In the main entrance I only let off five shots, each a kill shot. After I got passed the check in desk though, things got a little harder.

Security guards blanketed the hallways, no to mention the normal people in their offices. As I moved stealthily around the offices, I knew there was no way I could get out in time. I'd have to painstakingly work my way up to the roof and then run across buildings until the cops of whatever they're called here stop chasing me.

Honestly as I moved through floor after floor, I tried not to think too much. Eventually my guns ran out of amo so I switched guns quickly, dodging a tazer type thing since that was the worst weapon the security guards carried.

Even after I let off shot after shot, I tuned out to what was surrounding me, letting my body move on autopilot. My thoughts immediately turned home, to my comfortable bed where Brooke was probably laying right now. I almost sighed when I thought about just soaking in the huge jacuzzi, but I was brought back to reality by gun fire.

I dropped and rolled around a corner, peaking around. Their cops had gotten here a whole lot faster than I anticipated, but that didn't mean I wouldn't do my job. I sighed and my eyes teared up as the reality of what I was doing finally hit me, I was murdering people's mothers, fathers, spouses and children.

After I had killed all of those cops and everyone in the building, I stood on the roof top. I sobbed into my hands, but there was nothing I could do about it. This was my job, this was my mission, I had to do anything in order to bring down Vlad and anyone who works with him.

Was this really worth it though? I had just killed probably over a hundred people in less than an hour, would Vlad's assassins even killed that many in a week?

I shook my head and forced deep breaths, this wasn't the time or place. I buried my emotions deep inside and took a running start before diving for the next building. As I ran, as people called out words in Russian below me, I think I finally realized something;

I wont be recovering from what I'll have to do to complete this mission.