NJD @ BOS Postgame

Here are the post game thoughts from tonight's game.

The New Jersey Devils beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 in regulation.

The first period was dominated by the Devils. Wood, McLeod, and Bastian started the game against the Bergeron, Marchand, DeBrusk line. The Devils were physical, fast, and there was no doubt that they had their legs tonight. They played smart and started out strong and carried that energy throughout their entire game. Miles Wood's line was not playing like typical fourth lines do. They were big, strong, fast, physical, and to the puck. The Bruins spent a lot of time in their own zone throughout the first twenty minutes. The Devils did have a power play in the first period although not a single shot came from it. There were opportunities but sometimes players tried to create a better shot instead of taking the one they had. Both teams ended the first with 7 shots on goal and a score of 0-0

The second period was another period dominated by the Devils. Kyle Palmieri opened the scoring 1:34 into the period for his first goal this season. Jack Hughes drew to Bruins to him and flicked a back hand, behind the back pass to Palmieri for the goal. Coach Lindy Ruff made a few changes going into the second. Palmieri was moved to play on the top line with Hughes in place of Jesper Bratt. I think Ruff made the right choice in an effort to generate more scoring chances and it paid off. The second period held much more physical play from both teams. Kyle Palmieri and Charlie McAvoy were both served two minutes in the penalty box for roughing.

A few names stuck out in the second period. Maltsev was taking face offs for the Devils in an area where they struggled and he was winning them. Jake Debrusk's movement onto the top line was not generating the offense that the Bruins had hoped. David Krejci suffered a lower body injury and did not play the second or third period for Boston. Damon Severson for the Devils was making great plays on the defensive and offensive side of the game.

The Devils went on a power play and gave Brad Marchand and Charlie McAvoy each a shorthanded chance. PK Subban went into the penalty box on a four minute penalty but it landed a good shorthanded opportunity for Kyle Palmieri. He turned that opportunity into a goal at 10:39 in the second.  Just two minutes later however at 12:36 Jake DeBrusk scored his first of the season. More penalties were served to both teams at time ticked away. At 15:37 Pavel Zacha made a spin move and put the puck in the back of the net to finish off the second with a score of 3-1.

The Bruins dominated the third with 12 shots on goal compared to the Devils 8. Miles Wood made quite the impression with his style of play and his physicality in the third. More penalties were served, the biggest having been with only two minutes left against the Devils. The Bruins pulled Halak for a 6 on 4 advantage. Pasternak shot the puck, and Charlie McAvoy tipped it in high under the crossbar to cut the deficit to one. With just six seconds left Mackenzie Blackwood came up with a huge save to bring home a Devils win.

The three stars of the game were all from the Devils team, Kyle Palmieri, Mackenzie Blackwood, and Pavel Zacha. The Devils finished the night with 26 shots on goal and the Bruins finished with 27. The Devils brought their best game to win a huge one.