Trade Deadline: Kyle Palmieri

Trade Deadline: April 13th 3 o'clock ET. 

The New Jersey Devils have struggled this season. With a Covid shutdown the Devils have had some trouble bouncing back. They are currently 3 games below the hockey .500 and nine points out of a playoff spot. But I'm not counting them out of the playoffs. 

Kyle Palmieri's limited no-trade clause is going to cause some issues for the Devils since the Canadian teams are going to be the most aggressive at the trade deadline. But there are teams that will pay for Kyle. I think he will go for a package that most people are okay with. 

The Devils would benefit from keeping Palmieri long term. He has been one of the best additions to the team and has found fantastic chemistry on a line with Jack Hughes. Not to mention Palmieri is one of the older guys on the team at just 30 years old. But with that said when his next deal is done he will no longer fit the Devils mold. 

Many reports have stated that it is not very likely "Palms" stays with the black and red. As of recently the Devils and Palmieri were not close to an extension. The New Jersey Devils are 50/50 on whether to resign him or trade him. 

He could be traded to the Islanders and the Devils will retain half of his salary for a first round pick and a mid-level prospect. The Islanders have cap space with Captain Anders Lee out on long term IR. 

The St. Louis Blues are struggling to tread water. Will the addition of Palmieri prevent them from missing the playoffs? But the Blues are utilizing every last cent available from the IR and LTIR list as it is. The simplest form of a trade could take place, player for player. Kyle Palmieri for a player like Mike Hoffman possibly? The Blues coaching staff has not been thrilled with the performance they have seen from Hoffman this season, so trade him? A fresh start on a new tea, might benefit both players.

The Bruins could look to get Palmieri and place him on their third or fourth lines that have been struggling. Palmieri has not been over the moon amazing this season either though. He struggled for a good chunk of the season but is now starting to find. Bruins general manager, Don Sweeney has targeted Palmieri since he became the man in charge in 2015. We haven't seen the Bruins make a huge push for a top player on the market in recent years so could this be the year they do? 

Palmieri will be a free agent at the end of the season and the Devils are headed for the draft lottery again. It does make a lot of sense for New Jersey to trade him and get some sort of asset in return. If the Devils trade him then it will lead to a spot open for protection for a player like Zacha or Wood. 

In less than a week we will see the future fate of Kyle Palmieri.