Trade Deadline: Taylor Hall

The NHL trade deadline is April 13th at 3 ET. Rumors about who might get traded and who should get traded are flying through the league like crazy. So let's look at some of the most likely or most valued players that could be traded.

So far the Canadians have taken advantage of this when the received Eric Staal from the Sabres in exchange for third and fifth round draft picks in the 2021 NHL Draft.

Let's start with Taylor Hall. 

Most of the trade buzz is centered around the 29 year old forward. Hall is a pending UFA after this season. His current contract is one year $8 million. For Hall finding a long- term home with just the right price may be tricky. Hall could choose to sign another one year deal with Buffalo but I can't see that happening. The hope with Hall being in Buffalo was that playing alongside the best center he's played with since Edmonton, (Jack Eichel) would provide enough numbers to get them to the Playoffs. Unfortunately that has yet to happen, and we're over halfway through the season. Hall and Eichel were expected to turn the Sabres around but the plan did not stick. So now Hall could go through the free agency deadline again. Hall only has two goals and nineteen assists this season. Hall just isn't quite the threat he used to be. But his lack of production this season won't stop GMs from calling. 

Some potential trade destinations for Taylor Hall include for one staying with Buffalo. Hall stated that he liked it in Buffalo and wasn't necessarily eager to leave. The New York Islanders could very well be of interest. Since Anders Lee , one of their leading goal scorers is out for the rest of the season the Islanders could look for some playoff reinforcement. With Lee on long term IR and his $7 million average annual value off the books, general manager Lou Lamoriello is free to use the money once tied up in that contract. 

The Boston Bruins need help up front. And Hall would fit nicely on a line with David Krejci. Reports say that Boston is one of 25 teams that have an interest in Hall. The Bruins have a projected $9.7 million in cap space which is more than enough to afford Hall. Hall wouldn't quite net the return that he was rumored to be heading the Sabres' way.  Although the Sabres could wrestle Anders Bjork and a  2021 first round pick in this years draft out of the Bruins. The Sabres also might ask for a winger like Jake DeBrusk in the trade, who has been rumored to be on the move.

What about the Florida Panthers?  They have been a big surprise this year at the top of the standings in the Central Division. The Panthers inquired about Hall when the Devils were shopping the forward in 2019. His experience and skill could be helpful on the wing. On a line with Jonathan Huberdeau, the two could make a connection that Eichel and Hall failed to make. 

There is an endless number of places and options for the top six forward. With ten days left until the deadline, what will happen with Taylor Hall? 

Palms

Panthers sine Ekblad is out